5D Mk3 + 24-105mm: Image Stabilization is not enough. Got any recommendations?

Started by Chopeca, May 03, 2016, 09:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopeca

Hey

I shoot video with a 5D Mk3 and (usually) 24-105mm f/4 L IS. I got that lens specifically because it has Image Stabilization, and I want my setup to be as portable and discrete as possible. However, I'm not entirelly satisfied with the stability I get out of it. I've tried stabilizing against a shoulder strap, but that just made the movements jerky. I know there are plenty of alternatives (monopod, pistol, shoulder brace, maybe some kind of strap), but I'm really not sure what to try next. I figured it would be better to ask for input from someone that has more experience with cinematography.

Also, realizing this forum might not be the appropriate place for all my future questions about cinematography, what are some good places to discuss that stuff?

Simonwb

I'm far, far from being an expert, but I find it depends what you're filming and what 'look' you want to achieve. Personally, I use:
- shoulder rig for documentary style, particularly when the subject(s) are moving around a lot
- tripod for locked down or pans and tilts
- gimbal stabiliser for most other smooth movement

I've got the same 24-105 lens as you but have never used the IS, to be honest I'm not sure how it works and would worry it could affect my settings e.g. does it close down the aperture a few stops?
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Chopeca

Thanks for the response :)

I really like the look of Tree of Life, To the Wonder, Knight of Cups, also the Revenant, stuff like that. Existential, esoteric, cinematic, wide shots, nature, looking up at trees from below, through the sunset, closeups of leafs. But for the moment I'm not picky. I want a set up to run and gun with, bring with me traveling, so I'm only hoping for something that would provide some stability. I would be okay with something like a short, extendable monopod for static shots in the longer end (>70mm), but I don't know if that would help (I also have a 70-200mm f/4 IS). Other than that, it would be awesome with something that could assist me with movements in the wider end (<50mm).

As for image stabilization, there's gyro sensors in the lens that detect the speed and angle of the movement, which is then continually used to counteract the movements with a stabilization lens group. When you hold down the shutter button, you can hear a buzzing (especially on the 24-105) coming from inside the lens as it stabilizes. Shouldn't affect you performance unless you use it while panning quickly sideways or shaking profusely. Then the image will look like it's crumbling at times. Canon has two stabilization modes; regular and horizontal. This was from memory, so don't hold me to it!  :)

dude

-Go for a shoulder rig
-use a viewfinder
-learn to seperate your forearm movements from the rest of your body

These are the "smallest" solutions.
Take it a step further and use a steadicam or a gimbal, but that´s more equipment and more money.

reziarfg

I followed the instructions below to create a "$14 steadicam"
It's basically a bunch of metal pipes but it's solid and works well. I actually adapted an old tripod screwmount to the top to make it a little easier to work with.

You can get the parts at any home improvement store.

http://14dollarstabilizer.org/

Chopeca

Quote from: dude on May 04, 2016, 12:17:10 PM
(...)
-use a viewfinder
-learn to seperate your forearm movements from the rest of your body
(...)
I'll try to see if I can get it done with these two, hold off on the shoulder rig for now.

Quote from: reziarfg on May 04, 2016, 06:13:40 PM
I followed the instructions below to create a "$14 steadicam"(...)
That seems like a kickass way to get great footage, and I might try it in the future, but I want a way lighter and quicker setup when traveling.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys :)

[EDIT]
I had one idea; a shoulder strap with bend. That way it won't be as jerky, because the shoulder strap will give a little when you push the camera against it.