5-Shot Bracketing in Av Mode & More Sequence Options

Started by AK5596, April 26, 2016, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK5596

Hey guys, I shoot a lot of real-estate photography with my 5D MkII, and I would love if there were a couple tweaks to the way ML bracketing works.

First off, 5-shot bracketing, which is all I do, does not work properly in Aperture priority mode. I always have to switch to manual to get all 5 shots to shoot at the stop I need them to.

Second, I would like more options with the sequencing options. Specifically, I would love if the camera could shoot (--.-,0,+,++) basically all 5 shots in order from darkest to brightest. This would make my workflow much simpler.

Thanks!

Audionut

As far as I'm aware, advanced bracketing only works in Manual mode.

0 means the exposure settings that the camera is already set to.  So (--,-,0,+,++) would mean to start the bracket two steps brighter then current settings.

(0, +, ++) means start at the current settings, and keep making the rendered image brighter (darkest to brightest).

Walter Schulz

And a1ex told sequence must start with 0.
Doesn't your HDR/tone mapping software detect all the frames in a sequence by itself?

AK5596

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I guess I should clarify my first request. I am aware that Advanced Bracketing only works in Manual mode, but I would love if it worked in Aperture Priority. My workflow on site needs to be as efficient as possible, so shooting in some sort of auto-exposure mode, but still being able to get 5 bracketed shots in the following sequence (-4EV, -2EV, 0EV, +2EV, +4EV) would be ideal. Colleagues of mine who shoot on the Nikon D7100 are able to do this in camera and it works well for them, my request is to bring this functionality to ML.

As far as sequencing goes, my software does auto-detect the frames and can tell which is over, under, at exposure, etc. but it makes it much easier for me to identify each group of images in lightroom if they are in order from darkest to brightest. The only option for sequencing now is (0EV, -2EV, +2EV, -4EV, +4EV) which can make organizing photos in post-processing just a bit more difficult.

Thanks so much!

Audionut

There's about a three second difference between Av mode, and having your aperture set, and using shutter to adjust the Canon meter reading.  Your bracketing, so your in no rush.

The options for sequencing are as you described, also ( 0 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV, 3 EV, etc (0 + ++)) and (0 EV, -1 EV, -2 EV, -3 EV, etc (0 - --)).  Try changing it.

dmilligan

I would recommend using AutoETTR to get the exposure for the darkest exposure (turn off SNR limits and highlight ignore to 0, and AutoETTR will basically just make sure nothing clips, which is exactly where you want your darkest exposure to be), and then use (0, +, ++) mode. You will capture the full dynamic range of the scene and get all the images in order from darkest to lightest.

I actually commonly do something like this when I'm shooting landscapes, except I only have it shoot one extra bracket at +4ev (why? read-> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9285.msg91727#msg91727). I don't always use the extra bracket either, it's just there for good measure if I want to boost exposure in post.

garry23

@AK5596

The way David uses AutoETTR and auto bracketing is the way I use it. It is a killer workflow for tripod based work.

BTW, as a stills photographer, you may be interested in exploring my Toggler script for easy access to various ML 5* features: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16931.0

For your real estate work may also be interested in my auto bracketing script: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17158.0

pt48653

I love using on my 60d but just bought a eos m and it seems to shoot randomly. No matter if I set to auto, 3,5 7 etc. It sometimes takes one shot or the next 5 slow shots than the 5 bracketed then 2-3 more slow, other times it will take a bunch real slow (2-5 seconds between shots), I shoot manual, manual focus and tried all manual modes. It does it with 22mm and 18-55, i will try adapter and ef lenses tomorrow and take notes. As I said no problems with my 60D.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97422035@N07/26543801801/in/dateposted-public/