ML & Dragon StopMotion?

Started by Pumpkinwaffle, July 27, 2012, 12:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkinwaffle

Good evening to all!

I have been doing stop motion for quite a while now but took a break from it when my old camera got stolen. Being now a proud owner of the mighty 550D the urge of animating lifeless objects came back to me.
Now Dragon Stop motion is an awesome piece of software that allows some control over the camera (live view, shutter, and it even takes "silent pictures" if I remember right...), and provides good animation tools to work the pictures along with the awesome onion skin.

Now that I am using magic lantern I dare not to plug my camera to the software, without knowing the outcome. I heard things here and there about remotes that messed up things and all. Fair enough with silent picture and using the sensor as a trigger animating is possible while being easy on the shutter count but it would be nice to still have access to Dragon's features. Ghost image could recover a moved tripod, but would have to be improved/automated to be used as onion skin.

So if anyone has tried before or could throw in a word, I'd appreciate it ;)
Would a simple ML bypass be safe? (never had problems using Dragon on a 550D without ML)
How does the ML scripts affects what the camera sends to the computer?
Since Dragon takes control of some features of the camera, would it take over ML, work along it, and make my camera explode from such a duel? 8)

Wouldn't want my precious to get hurt in the process ^^
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

nanomad

As far as I can see, that software uses canon's SDK so it should be fine (all it does is control the camera via PTP commands). I guess trying won't hurt.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Pumpkinwaffle

Well that sure is good to hear.

I'm still in the process of making the set and all at the moment but I'll make to prepare a full report after testing.
I'll also see if the ML features extend to the computer (focus peak, iso 25...)

To be continued :)
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/