Dual ISO Processor for Windows (Multi-threaded) - Hunt and seek Dual ISO Files

Started by kidfob, April 10, 2016, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidfob

Dual ISO Processor will traverse all folders within a specified root, find CR2 or DNG image files, and batch process them using cr2hdr.

The application is multi-threaded, and allows as many threads as your number of CPU cores. The user is also free to decrease the number of threads in use, just in case they are using the system for other work. They can increase them back to the max allowed, whenever they please.

This application has everything I love about batch/long process applications: A friendly GUI, log files, Progress bars and Time Remaining/Elapsed counters.

It's open source, so feel free to either suggest improvements or build them yourself!

Source Repository:
https://github.com/layibabalola/Dual-ISO-Processor

Application DOWNLOAD:
https://github.com/layibabalola/Dual-ISO-Processor/releases

Ottoga

@kidfob
Ok, gave this a test today. I could have used this last October after returning home from a "Bucket List" holiday.

• It just works
  • [edit] Ability to adjust the number of threads used by the application
  • Automatically handles Dual ISO CR2 and DNG files. (Some suggestions on how to handle the originals below)
  • Sub folder management for processed files. Although, I feel that there can be some improvement here (see suggestions below)
  • Ignores sub folders in the source path that are empty or don't contain cr2/dng files
  • Progress feedback on screen and log files

Dislikes

Installation location
The application installation doesn't adhere to common windows standards.
i.e.: 32 bit programs should be installed to the "Program Files (x86)" folder  and 64bit programs should be installed to the "Program Files".

Your application installs its executable into here:
C:\Users\ottoga\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\WRA2MAW5.WOX\G8EX5A5M.O9K\dual..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0000_59e1370d8110acf4

As a result, the user AppData directory which, in a default Windows installation is a hidden directory is now exposed introducing a potential risk to non power users. On first use, it is exposed via the "Set Image Folder" and "Set cr2hdr Path" buttons whose dialogue boxes open within the applications installation directory. Subsequent uses default to the last selected path which is ok.

Suggestions

• Installation be changed to comply with Windows standards.
  • "Set Image Folder" and "Set cr2hdr Path" buttons be changed to open in the users default image/pictures and possibly documents directories respectively.

No ability to select cr2hdr run time parameters
Default settings for a first pass bulk process is fine however, after a review of the processed images, alternate or debug parameters settings may be required for reprocessing. From a user perspective it would be preferable to select the run time parameters here rather than use another app to do this.

Suggestion
Expand GUI to include a selectable list of parameters to be passed to cr2hr and build the run command based on the selections.

Original Source Dual ISO is lost if it is a DNG file
Unlike CR2 files where the original source files are retained, for DNG files they are lost.

Suggestion
Copy all DNG files to an Original DNGs folder prior to processing.

Non Dual ISO CR2s are copied to the "Dual ISO Original CR2" Folder
This is confusing as the outcome is inconsistent with the folder naming convention.

Suggestion
Either rename the folder to something like "Processed Originals"
or
Retain the exiting file name and don't move non dual_iso CR2s into it
or
Create another subfolder "Non Dual_ISO CR2s" and move the "non dual_iso CR2s " files there.

Any of the above would then make it very clear to the user what they should expect to find within the process folders.

Bugs

When initially setting the cr2hdr path using the "Set cr2hdr Path" button the actual path selected was not displayed in the value filed beside the button. I ended up copy and pasting the value in. Subsequent launches retained and displayed the path.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.  With a bit more refinement, I can see this becoming a very useful tool in the ML communities toolkit.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

kidfob

Ottoga, thanks for the extensive feedback. I appreciate it.

I will try to implement these changes as soon as possible!

Thanks again

Arjayu

Hi,
This looks great and works a treat when I get the right cr2hdr folder ;I didn't delete the old ones!

Do you find it better to pre-process than to use the lightroom plugin ; I have only just started using it (and hobby digital photography for that matter) , but LRcc seems to leave non-dual cr2 in their folder untouched, makes the DNG to selected folder, annd leaves original in original folder as well , reporting the non-dual files at the end of the batch.

I am not yet used to LR catologues  / and collections , but seeing others use it easily, I suspect I might find it easier with time and do the batches there?
For now, I will use your batches with great thanks!
Cheers, Randall

70d feb 2016 ;  ML version 70D version A [ https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/ ]; AUTOettr going well ; very new 2016 ;thanks to A1ex et al v much!
great batch processing for Dualiso ;
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17062.msg165556#msg165556

Magic 7D

A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

Ottoga

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Magic 7D

Wish I knew how to program so that I could make the changes that you suggested, it has the potential of being an incredibly nifty little program that would fit right into my workflow once polished a bit. Still useful though albeit a bit quirky especially the fact that the settings has to be done out of the program.. So thanks kidfob for a nice app and I wish I could help make it mature :) and thanks Ottoga for very constructive testing and well related findings I would never have been able to express it as clearly as you did. :)
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

kidfob

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Things have been busy. I will implement them in the next month though. To make it easier on me can you all list out the features you want and assign a high,med,or low priority to each?

Thanks!