"Bricked"(?) 5d Mark II

Started by jpegmasterjesse, April 02, 2016, 07:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpegmasterjesse

Hello, lovely people.

I recently acquired a BG-E6 battery grip for my 5d Mark II, which happened to have the experimental DUAL-ISO video module people have been working on lately installed.

The battery grip, though new and unused, has not been working perfectly.  I find that it's frequently cutting power to my camera, and also disabling the function of my primary shutter.  This may be completely unrelated, or it may be the cause of my first "Bricking" experience.

To get to the point, I received the Blue Bricking screen.  It said that it successfully dumped the ROM and that my camera was bricked.  Taking the battery grip off, and re-installing my battery fixed the issue.  Temporarily.  The camera gave me the blue screen a few hours later.

Perhaps my case is not bad, or perhaps I don't quite understand bricking.  My understanding was that Bricking rendered the camera unusable, but in my case it seems to function fine after reinstalling the battery.  Did I just have a "near-brick" experience, or is bricking a periodic issue like I'm experiencing?

I'm at work at can't try it now, but should my first step to be to remove the experimental DUAL-ISO module and try a more stable version of ML?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Walter Schulz

Remove clock (aka: Date/Time) battery (the small one, type CR1616) and wait for some time. Reinsert, startup, enter correct date and time. Issue solved.
Waiting to hear from you next year ...

jpegmasterjesse

Thanks! I never would have thought of that.  I'll report back when I have the chance to.  Hopefully not next year...