Canon 5D III (Magic Lantern Raw) VS Sony a7R II

Started by QuickHitRecord, March 30, 2016, 05:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickHitRecord

My friend and I did a quick (and unscientific) side-by-side test between these two cameras with a single LED source shooting in through the window. I focused on matching the framing, focal length, and background rendering as much as possible. In a perfect world, the 5D could have used a little more light because it doesn't "see" as much light as the Sony, and it also needs to be exposed to right even more than the Sony for optimal results.

There's more of a write up over on Vimeo if you want to know more about my workflow.

Personal notes: The a7R ii is easier to use in almost every way, but I greatly prefer the image from the 5D3 shooting raw. SLOG (in this case, SLOG2) is well implemented in the higher-end FS7, but I struggle to get passable skintones from it in their mirrorless hybrid cameras, especially with fair-skinned subjects. Bumping up the saturation of gray just gives you more gray. I know it can be done, since I've seen in other examples. But I'm assuming that it takes a lot of work to get it there, and probably multiple windows. The irony is that the raw footage from the Canon is very flexible in terms of grading, but it needs very little (if any tweaking). I think that's worth a lot.

I'll be hanging onto my 5D3. It's a 2012 camera, which makes it a dinosaur, but with Magic Lantern's incredible hack, there's a lot of life in it yet.

Thanks to baldavenger for providing some useful guidance with the grade.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

markodarko

Thanks for sharing. May I ask what ISO you shot at for both? Could just be the vimeo compression but looks like there's a fair bit of noise there in both shots (even in the ungraded footage). May I ask how you lit the scene?

Thanks again,

Mark.