Dead Highlight Pixels

Started by swardet, March 06, 2016, 09:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swardet

I have a 70D. Been testing out the RAW video today and have found a nagging issue where my video has dead a couple of blown out pixels and two pink pixels.

I am using all the recommended DNG makers - for MLV i've used both raw2cdng.1.7.5, MlRawViewer_1_3_3, and for regular RAW i used RAWanizer ver 0.6.1.

These pixel issues aren't present when I record with the Canon format (where ML not installed).

I've enabled all modules except the arkanoid and I've enabled nothing else except RAW video for one test and RAW video (MLV) for another.

I'm taking the files directly from CF to my Windows 10 64-bit PC. I've 16GB RAM and a 1TB disk. Plenty of fire power with an i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz

I'll process the RAW files in the aforementioned tools, then take directly into DaVinci Resolve 12. From Resolve, I'll watch on timeline and I can see the pixels. I'll out put to AVI Uncompressed YUV 422 10-bit and the pixels are still there.

Can't figure out what is happening. Any hints?

Danne

@dfort. He knows what to do.

dfort

I can deal with thousands of focus pixels but a few dead/stuck/hot pixels are a different issue.

I don't believe that any of the programs you're using have a way to deal with those pixels. You can use dcraw to remove "badpixels" but it sounds like you're using the dng files in Resolve and I'm not sure if there's a way for dcraw to save to dng files.

Since you're on Windows maybe you should check out MLVProducer and ask AWPStar, the developer, for some suggestions.

[EDIT: There might also be a way to do it with MLVFS by putting in a focus pixel map file for your 70D with just the problem pixels in the file. I suggested something like this to the developer a few weeks ago. http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg162686#msg162686 ]

Maciej_W

Processing CinemaDNG files in ACR may also help. It has embedded some algorithms that try to remove bad/hot pixels from raw files.