EOS-M wired remote

Started by garry23, March 06, 2016, 01:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

My apologies if this has been mentioned before, however, I had a 'brainwave' and thought I would share it with ML colleagues.

The EOS-M doesn't have a wired remote, but it does have an audio/mic socket.

So all you need to do is use an audio-2-audio cable to connect the EOS-M to, say, your iPhone; and switch on the Audio Remote in ML.

Then simply use the free TriggerTrap App to fire your EOS-M.

Although the audio remote option works via the EOS-M mics, it will trigger off noise. With the wire and TriggerTrap, you have full control.

Job done :)

dfort

Yes, it has been discussed before. For a while the AUDIO_REMOTE_SHOT feature wasn't even working on the EOSM.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14913

The TriggerTrap can work with the EOSM via a simple audio cable but you don't have the full range of features that you do with a real remote. Basically it can fire the camera but it can't open and close the shutter for long exposures. I also found it a bit tricky to get it working, sometimes rebooting the camera helps.

Here's a YouTube video someone did a while back.

garry23

I guess the difference is that the video implies you need the TriggerTrap hardware, which my experiments confirmed you don't. Just a cheap audio jack to audio jack cable that goes to, say, your iPhone and to the EOS-M.

The TriggerTrap software is a free download :)

dfort

Yes, you're right. No need for special cables. I was able to do it with a simple audio cable that had 1/8 inch stereo male connectors on each end.