Canon 60D + M.L Video Question

Started by rencya6, March 02, 2016, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rencya6

Hi  guys.

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I bought a canon 60D last week and shot a couple videos. In post correction I noticed how much the codecs compression was really affecting the quality of the footage.

I'm really interested in upgrading the firmware to ML but have a couple questions. First question; Would I still be able to shoot video over 5 minuets at a time? Or is the length determined by the rez and quality settings? Second question; is there a time-laps feature? Thirdly; is it stable?

Thanks in advance!
chuyen rút hầm cầu giá rẻ.
dich vu rut ham cau chuyen nghiep

Walter Schulz

ML does not replace Canon firmware but runs on it. Very much like a program is running inside your computer on your OS (Windows, Linux, OS X, ...).
ML is adding a RAW video feature to Canon's native video modi. But this comes with bandwidth requirements not that suitable for 60D.
Example: Native Canon video in 1080p (H.264) will not exceed about 6 MByte/s (IPB-mode) or about 16 MByte/s (All-I).
60D's flash memory interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s writing to card (and nothing you can do about it). No problem for H.264 so far.

But 720p in RAW at 24fps is beyond 60D's limits. It will require about 38 MByte/s for continuous recording but 60D simply can do that for seconds only.

And there is a time-lapse feature. And not one, but there are at least 3 ways doing time-lapse in ML.

Stable? Depends on your definition of stable. If you mean "taking the cam down several times a day": No, unlikely or you are very, very good at hunting bugs. But so are devs.