best EOS camera with magic lantern for specific uses

Started by quantumrider, February 26, 2016, 05:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quantumrider

Hi Everyone,

I used magic lantern on 5D2 up to two years ago and I loved it, couldn't shoot video without it.

I want to get an EOS camera again and I wonder if I could ask for opinions, what would be most cost effective EOS these days for use with magic lantern.

My use would be to shoot interviews and short films, I would like solid low light performance, I have Sigma 18-35 1.8 nikon mount and speedbooster for it, so I was thinking I could use that lens with the EOS M with some adapters but perhaps there is a better option, I would definitely like to continue using this lens as I've been using it for two years now with BMPCC and now with BMCC micro studio.

BMCC micro studio really sucks in low light... I'm using it with Odyssey7Q, I imagine I would also like to use Odyssey7Q to record off EOS camera.

Does anyone have experience with the EOS and Odyssey7q and/or Sigma on the speedbooster?
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2

dfort

If you're talking about the Metabones speedbooster, I'm pretty sure it doesn't come in a Nikon to EF-M version. You might be able to do a hardware hack on a micro four thirds adapter like this guy did on a 7.5mm fisheye or take your chance on a Nikon to EF-M speedbooster from China on ebay. (Sorry can't find the link at the moment.)

The EOSM would be the least expensive at less than $150 USD for a used body. Fine for H.264 video but don't expect it to compete with the BMPCC. While I like my EOS-M's, got 4 of them, I would hesitate to recommend that camera if you plan to hook it up with an external monitor. The best camera for that would be the 5D3 with 1.2.3 firmware. Though for the best Magic Lantern experience for raw video would be a 5D3 with the 1.1.3 firmware.

Other options for what you want to do might include the 50D and 7D. Of course the 5D2 is also a good choice and you're already familiar with it.

DeafEyeJedi

Or wait until the 5D4 gets released by Canon and then the 5D3 prices are going to be dropping like flies ... Especially for a used body which is what I'm waiting for.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

quantumrider

thank you everyone very much for the advice, I will go for used 5D3 when 5D4 comes out.... that must be the best camera with ML
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2