T5i went dead after clearing card

Started by trooper8, February 13, 2016, 02:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trooper8

T5i
My daughter cleared the memory card and then the camera wouldn't boot.

I'm a newbie and looking back in my files it appears I downloaded 2 files in an effort to get longer shutter speeds.
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Oct01.700D114.zip
magiclantern-2011Jan26.550d.fw109.NoAudioMon.bulb-timer-2.alex.zip
I'm not certain which one I installed. 

I'm now questioning myself - should I be using "550d" or should I be using ML for "700d"?

I put the autoexec.bin for the 550d  file back on the card and tried again. It did not boot.
If I remove the card and the battery, reinstall the battery, no card, and power on, it will boot and show "no card in camera".
It will not boot with the card installed.

If I load the card with the 700d autoexec file, it will boot, but has numerous errors and the screen size seems off. 

How do I tell which ML I have in the camera and what files need to be present on the card to run?

Thanks

tron

Well T5i is 700D. 

BUT, make sure that you include not only the autoexec but the ML directory too.

Also a .fir file must be present for installation and (possibly) uninstallation (take the latter with a grain of salt as I am a 5D3 ML user and the process for 700D maybe a little different.

If camera boots and works OK that's it. Otherwise you may be able to uninstall ML and start from there.
When I had done the same on my 5D3 I had corrected the situation by putting the autoexec and .fir files and the ML directory back (I had the exact same version saved in my laptop)

Good luck!

trooper8

Does the .fir file need to be present on the card for operation?

Walter Schulz

Extract nightly build zip and copy contents to card.