Burning user info into an image

Started by garry23, February 11, 2016, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

Now we have Lua scripting, I wonder if it is possible to consider the follow additional ML features.

1. Writing additional user info to an image's EXIF, eg focal distance, DoF etc etc. does EXIF support adding  text info?

2. Could someone think about a way to add text direct to the sensor, raw file. Once again, info about the image or a set of brackets etc

Either if the above would 'burn in' field data to the image, or associated image, to aid subsequent post processing etc.

dmilligan

Quote from: garry23 on February 11, 2016, 10:10:17 AM
1. Writing additional user info to an image's EXIF
This is potentially "dangerous" (could corrupt the file or make it unreadable), and currently there's no way to do anything like this in ML. It's much "safer" to just keep data in sidecar files, which is something you can already do with Lua.

focal distance, DoF etc etc.
These things are already in CR2 metadata.

2. Could someone think about a way to add text direct to the sensor, raw file. Once again, info about the image or a set of brackets etc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

garry23

David

Thanks, I'll keep using pencil and notebook  :)

Cheers

Garry

g3gg0

just create a new file with all info you need along with the image.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

garry23

The idea was to record info in camera.

As I say, I stick with pencil and paper

g3gg0

yeah in-camera file creation is nothing new to this world ;)
not sure if its possible with LUA today what you need, but not impossible in general.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dmilligan

In Lua you have:
dryos.shooting_card.file_number
dryos.shooting_card.folder_number
And all the file IO routines from Lua built in io library
Which is all you need to write any info you like in sidecar files

You can also set the image filename prefix (limit 4 chars b/c 8.3 filesystem, also this is known to not be completely reliable), which would probably work if you're just trying to group bracketed shots together (set a new prefix for each bracket):
dryos.prefix