Advanced bracketing - blurred pictures

Started by xorpi, February 08, 2016, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xorpi

I wish you a good day. I would like to ask why the use of bracketing causes problems after 4th photo. Used camera - Canon EOS 700D with Canon 18-55mm STM lens can not focus and makes blurred pictures.
Think Dynamic! #HDR #BW 📸

Photography & FineArt by photofrano 🎨   
www.fb.com/PHOTOFRANO & www.500px.com/PHOTOFRANO

Walter Schulz

canonblonde

Has a fix been found for this?

I have also experienced blurry shots when using Advanced Bracketing on the T5i.  The blur looks and acts as if the camera is searching for focus, but doesn't reach it for some of the shots.  In my experience, it can does not alway occur with the 4th shot.  I see this in 2 out of the 6 photos taken.  This is happening with multiple cameras at my work.  Only the T5i has this problem. (we have some T3i cameras and it does not occur with those)

Currently, I am seeing it on T5i cameras with Canon software release 1.1.4.  I will check to see if a 1.1.5 install changes anything.

If you turn autofocus off and manually focus the camera, the blur problem does *NOT HAPPEN*.   For now, this is our only workaround to this issue.   

a1ex

Check AF_BTN_STAR and AF_BTN_HALFSHUTTER in consts.h.

You may have to print the values of cfn_get_af_button_assignment() and cross-check them with the selection from Canon menu.

canonblonde

I have noted that even with there is no movement in the scene, Magic Lantern must try to autofocus before each bracketed shot is taken.

I have several people using this camera with Live View turned on.  We have found that in most cases (this is not fully tested yet, but we are hopeful) if you turn off Live View to Quick Mode, this seems to prevent the problem, but this hasn't been tested thoroughly.  I think I feel safer turning Live View off completely, but again, we need to test this a little bit more.

I am not a tester and unfortunately can't help that way, but I find it interesting that this only occurs on our T5i cameras.  Even with the same lenses, settings, etc, it has never happened on one of our T3i cameras.  I think the focusing system changed with the T5i so that's something of note.

So if this is happening to you, possible workarounds that I know of, are: changing Live View focusing mode to Quick Focus/Mode, turning Live View off, or turning AF off and just manually focusing the camera, which has been the most successful workaround thus far (this happened a couple of years ago and that was our fix then).

a1ex

Can you run the stubs test (selftest.mo) from the latest lua_fix experimental build?