DUAL ISO VIDEO MODE PROBLEM

Started by LucaDeFranco, February 01, 2016, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucaDeFranco

Hi there , im trying to shoot Video in Dual Iso mode. Im a windows User and i read this guide (Tutorial - Guide to using Dual ISO Mode on your Canon 5D Mark III) which was suggested in this thread (Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo) ).

While in the post it suggests to extract the DNGs and then use CR2HDR ( thing that i have done but then it doesnt read the files into adobe premiere pro cc ) , in the guide mentioned above it says to use avisynth to split all the A frames to the B frames to create a C frames with obviously no lines. The guide talks about Main.cmq command etc so i think it is written for Mac users and seems to be very simple so i think that i'm complicating things that should be simpler.

So the question is : Which of the 2 ways should i use to get to edit my dual iso videos?
Than: if i should use Avisynth , how can i use it on windows easily? ( it talk about opening a text file and adding command lines which seems to be too complicated to me)

Thank you for your support

Danne

Walter Schulz

The workflow in the tutorial uses HDR + Dual-ISO and Avisync is used to handle the HDR part. You are not using the HDR option so I suggest not using this workflow.

LucaDeFranco

ok guys thank you very much ,
so then in i got a video recorded with the dual iso option what should i do to edit it on premiere like any other dng file?
I do not understand the reason why if i get the raw file and after i extract all the DNGs once i process them in CR2HDR adobe premiere doesn't read the file and gives me a line of error .

dmilligan

You'll have to ask Adobe why they aren't willing to fully support their own "open standard". Bottom line: the files out of cr2hdr are not CinemaDNGs (an extension to the DNG standard) and Premiere only opens specific "flavors" of CinemaDNGs, basically only cDNG files that come from specific cameras (or cDNG files that are very similar to ones by specific cameras).

Many of the MLV/RAW converters output cDNGs that are compatible with Premiere and others, but cr2hdr does not.

AFAIK, MLVFS is the only converter that can output dual ISO converted cDNG files that will open with Premiere, and only the Mac/Linux versions have this capability (Windows version is far behind and unmaintained). So you can either use MLVFS on a Linux VM, or use something besides Premiere (like AfterEffects) to convert the DNGs to some video format that Premiere can read.

Danne

MLP for mac will repack the dual iso dng files so that they work in Premiere as well. (Thanks to cpc).
What is needed is this text file in the A_lut_hold folder.
MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt

LucaDeFranco

Thank you very much guys and sorry to bother again .

Danne i have an old Mac with me that should support the MLP ; could u just tell me the exact steps to work those files ? Once i download the MLP i just drag the files and it works? thank you

Danne

Check page 2 and page 10 in the user_guide to start with. I think the info there is enough.
I assume you have the MLV or RAW files still or did you obtain the dng files some other way?
Tell me if it worked or write a line in the MLP thread.
user_guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirSmVSbFdQQ0tELVU/view

Don,t forget to add
MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt

LucaDeFranco

I still have the MLV file and i also have the DNGs extracted with CR2HDR. Im trying ill let u know asap thank you.

LucaDeFranco

But where am i supposed to download and add MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt ?
?

Danne

Inside the folder A_dan_log_3d_luts  you find the dcraw_FFmpeg_settings folder and inside of that folder you will find the file. Put that file in A_lut_hold folder and run MLP by right clicking a folder with MLV/RAW files.

LucaDeFranco

Ok Danne im am a very newbie about computer staff so for me it is very hard since i dont know anything. I copied the only raw file a did to my mac where i installed all the MLP stuff correctly.
So my raw file in on my mac desktop but if it is necessary i can put it in a folder. Where do i find these Folders u r telling me? Than i have this MLV file on my mac desktop but when i right click on it on the menu there is no MLP as shown in the guide. In the guide it shows that MLP is under the "services" but when i right click i dont find it. It just suggests me to open it with miraViewer or i can choose other.

LucaDeFranco

My Mac Os X version is 10.6.8 and should be if i am not wrong Snow Leopard

Danne

Ok, kind of hard to know what,s wrong here but let,s give it a try.
1 - Double click MLP to install. It should move to the library/services location.
2 - Put the RAW file in to an empty folder
3 - Right click the folder with the RAW file inside of it. Here MLP should pop up in the services menu?
4 - Select MLP and it will create the two additional folders inside the folder
5 - Go and get the MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt file and add it to the A_lut_hold folder and run the MLP workflow once again by right clicking on the folder again.

If these steps doesn,t work could you redo all the steps from scratch and create a screen recording of what you are doing?

LucaDeFranco

Ok Danne maybe im hard of hearing but i still dont get it.
I understood that if i would found the service tab and mlp it should make 2 more folders and one should be a lut hold....but where do i find MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt ?????????

Than...i did all the steps u told me and i dont see the services tab. Could my Mac osx version be obsolete for this? Can i open the raw file opening first MLP automator and then dragging the file in?

Thank you

Danne

Hold on. Seems something broken with the latest upload of MLP. Let me see if I can fix it soon.

Danne

I,ll check into what,s wrong soon, meanwhile this version should work. Sorry for the inconvenience.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirZ1p1X2lEUXpzSEU/view?usp=sharing

LucaDeFranco

Danne im doing everything u r telling me but it is not working...i used this version but the problem is the same...in library/services/ there isnt any mlp...i even tried to move it manually into the services folder but it doenst appear...the only thing that appears in the menu is Toast since it appears also into the services folder....what do i have to do?

LucaDeFranco

yoooooo maybe it is working ....i'll let u know in a sec

LucaDeFranco

Ok one step ahead , the program does everything we said before...we only one problem...the dngs generated are not readable for premiere pro...is That possible?

Danne

Everything is possible. If you added the MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt file to the A_lut_hold folder it should work. What version of premiere are you running?
I also uploaded a new version of MLP in the MLP thread which fixed the problem before.

LucaDeFranco

Im running the latest ...adobe premiere pro cc....I did all the steps and copy /paste the file above into a_lut_folder but the DNGs r not readable

Danne

LucaDeFranco

Danne

Strange. Only file in my A_lut_hold folder is the MLV_RAW_dng_repack_16bit.txt file.
Did you wait until the automator wheel dissappeared(up in the top of the window? It could happen you didn,t wait for the repack step to finish?
Also try downloading the latest version from the MLP thread now.