RAW Video recording on 6D at 1080p is absolutely impossible?

Started by davidrf, January 24, 2016, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidrf

Hi there,
I browsed many old threads before opening this, and some say it is possible to shoot RAW videos on a 6D at 1080p if you lower the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 2.35:1 or 2.40:1. I tried but I still get frame drops after few seconds. I have a Sandisk Extreme 64GB certified for 95mb/s and that shouldn't be the problem, given the fact the internal 6D card reader peaks at 45mb/s more or less. So, how do you people pull off recording 1080p RAW without frame skipping? I tried everything but I still can't. Thanks a lot.  :D
Ekam Sat

Walter Schulz

Sorry, the numbers doesn't add up.
I suppose by "1080p in 2.40:1" you mean 1920x800?
If so:
Horizontal resolution x vertical resolution x bit depth x frame rate / 8 = Byte/s
1920 x 800 x 14 x 24 / 8 = 64512000 Byte/s = 61.6 MByte/s

Well beyond cam's interface limit of about 38 MByte/s in continuous mode (41 MByte/s is just benchmark and anything beyond 38 MByte/s is very, very close to the edge).
You will be able to shoot quite short clips before failure strikes.

davidrf

It's 1824x776 at 2.35:1 and now that I notice it, it says 56.6mb/s. I only get the "green light" if I choose 4:1 aspect ratio (WTF). But now I wonder how several people claim to be able to do this at 2.35:1... As you say, it's impossible :(
Ekam Sat

Walter Schulz

No, it's not impossible. I don't know what you read but there are several ways to get higher resolutions:
- Shoot with lower frame rate (and tweak in post)
- Shoot with lower resolutions (and tweak in post)
- Shoot short clips (and do some editing)

But in fact there is no way to shoot beyond the cam's bandwidth limit continuously.

davidrf

Thanks a lot for your help. The problem is I have to shoot a commissioned short movie and I can't use 720p or lower resolution, nor I can record very short clips and glue them together :( I guess I have to stick to normal mode with Cinestyle profile :(
Ekam Sat

Danne