RAW BEGINNER (HELP)

Started by Ricardo Constantino, January 18, 2016, 12:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo Constantino

Hello guys,

I've had a 550D with ML on it for 4 years, sadly I didn't try out the RAW option before the sensor died.

With that I bought a GH3 (last year) for the crispier image and 60fps FULL HD at a great price!

Now I see all the RAW movies and hell I miss my shallow DOF and easier access to lenses!

If I want to return to the Canon world, I will keep my GH3, what's the best camera (on budget) to shot RAW Video and complement with the Lumix?
I'm looking at 5D Mark II, 70D and 50D.

What are the differences and what's the best in terms of image quality?

Best regards and thanks in advance

Walter Schulz

5D3. Someone I know picked one for 600€. You may not be able to get one that low but consider what you are after.

Ricardo Constantino

Well that would make my year but unfortunately here in Portugal they are still going for 2K.

Sapporo

5DIII is the only one with real 1920 px and it has the speed.

Ricardo Constantino

But you can always upscale and with the crop/black bars just need to scale horizontally

Levas

For (almost) HD resolution and continuous recording you need a camera with compact flash cards (5DII, 7D, 50D or the 5DIII  ;))
From the above list, the 50D doesn't support sound recording (it has no microphone).

Cameras with SD cards(like the 70D) aren't capable of continuous recording in (almost) HD resolution.
The newer camera's with SD interface with 40Mb/s write speed can do continuous raw recording in HD ready 1280x720 resolution (that is with 24 frames per second).
This sheet shows much of what camera is capable of what resolution in raw recording it also shows which cameras have the fast SD interface(40Mb/s) and which one the slow interface (21Mb/s).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cgnRivbUv7nA9PUlCLmLdir3gXdIN3pqzCNAAybepc/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=5