Problem of installation ML versions 5D2_Alpha_One and 63b2f145cb3b on 5D Mark2

Started by olifab, January 16, 2016, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olifab

Hello,

I installed the versions "5D2_Alpha_One" and "63b2f145cb3b" on the firmwire 2.1.2 of my CANON 5D mark2, and I meet 2 problems:

1 - I do not see the screen "Modules" to reach the video regulation RAW [Image 01 (see on YouTube) and Image 02 (on my reflex)].

2 - Two texts of error display constantly on my screen (Image 03).

Can anybody help me to solve my problem?

Thank you very much. ;)

Olivier

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 5D2.212
Proceed as adviced.

Your version is outdated and not intended to be used anymore for safety reasons.

olifab

Thank you for your quick response  ;)

Unfortunately, none of the last versions works on my device, every time it blocks, turn off aud I must restart it. Even the last version "magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jan14.5D2212.zip" does not work too. In the final, ML never opens even when i proceed as adviced. The version which I possess seemed the only one who seemed to work.

What can I do?

Really thanks.

Olivier

Walter Schulz

Install Canon's firmware version 2.1.2 on your machine once again. There may be some "dialects" of 2.1.2 around and ML requires the one linked in download area.

olifab

The firmware over ML? Or begin again in 0, install the firmware and ML in the continuation? Because I have to reinstall repeatedly firmware + ML without suite.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted Canon firmware file to card and run firmware update.

After installation delete file from card and copy extracted nightly build contents to card and run firmware update.

ML is no replacement for Canon firmware! The only thing changed in cam is a so called bootflag. And this bootflag will load ML from card to cam memory during startup.

olifab

It'similar, nevertheless I formated everything then installed the firmware 2.1.2. Then I reformatted the card to place the last version " magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jan14.5D2212.zip ".

As soon as I make the update, the device indicates "Loading", the red light flashes and the reflex turn off immediately and I have to replace the battery to restart the device, but ML is not still installed.

:'(

Walter Schulz

Which card are you using? Have you tried to set the cam to factory defaults (including C.Fn settings)?
Try a different card.

olifab

It's similar with he two cards I had (CompactFlash Silicon Power 200x - 32GB)

Each time i install un newest Nightly Build, we can see "Loading" in transparency and the LiveView vibrates highlighted (sorry I can't send photo apparently).

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but I see no photo.
Take a video of your installation attempt (smartphone or else is just fine) and link it here.

olifab

When I want ti insert an image, it doesn't open any file to choose a photo.

Walter Schulz

If you want to share a photo you have to upload it somewhere (Picload.org, imgur or else) and link it here. Same with videos.

Walter Schulz

olifab

I have a video but does it exist a site like Picload.org to send you a video link?

Thank you  ;)

Walter Schulz

Thanks for recording!
But this is beyond my debugging skills. I hope a1ex is reading this and tells us how to get this riddle solved.
EDIT: Got an idea. Latest nightly builds are dumping ROM images to card and may take some time to do so. And your cards are rather slow, I suppose. Try downloading an older build. Newer builds are containing ML-SETUP.FIR.
If installation with older build is working you may replace contents with newer build and just wait for ROM dump to complete.

a1ex

That's quite strange.

Start the old version, wait for 1-2 minutes, then you should find on the card ML/LOGS/ROM*.BIN. Send me those files by PM.

Also, upload a screenshot of Debug -> Free Memory dialog.

Walter Schulz

Updated my post. I have a feeling it is just caused by a very slow card.

a1ex

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 18, 2016, 08:18:14 PM
Latest nightly builds are dumping ROM images to card and may take some time to do so.

Yes, since late 2012 :P

This process happens in background, after the camera is up and running (so, no solid LED light at startup).

axelcine

Maybe I'm completely a dork. But what if...? Sometimes when transferring to a card reader I experience that the computer's copying buffer isn't emptied completely, resulting in an incomplete copy. Therefore I sometimes have to use "safe removal..."-feature found in the right hand tray.
Feel free to laugh...
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

olifab

(In the first place, thanks to all for your help)  :)

Dear Alex,

Thanks to you also for your help concerning my problem with ML and my 5DMII  ;)

So, when you say : Start the old version, wait for 1-2 minutes, then you should find on the card ML/LOGS/ROM*.BIN. Send me those files by PM.
Also, upload a screenshot of Debug -> Free Memory dialog.

Is the old version the one named in the subject? If it's the case, you can see the images at those links:
http://picload.org/image/wdccgwr/capture.jpg
http://picload.org/image/wdccrol/image01.jpg
http://picload.org/view/wdccroi/image03.jpg.html

And "upload a screenshot of Debug -> Free Memory dialog", what do you mean? I'm French and I don't understand these technical words  ;)

So, how can I send you the files fo my card by MP?

Really thanks to you (all) again.

Best,

Olivier

a1ex

Debug -> Free Memory -> press SET and take a picture of the screen.

Are you able to run the oldest ML nightly build? (Nightly.2014May21.5D2212)

olifab

Unfortunately, with the Nightly.2014May21.5D2212, the reflex blocks just at the loading. I can't use it while switched on. I have to take out the battery to restart and then the LiveView screen vibrates while ML is not installed yet.

Only the version named on the subject works best in spite of the problems on photos.
I send you the screenshot of Debug of this version:  http://picload.org/image/wdcigdi/img_8999.jpg

:)