650D/t4i Raw problem

Started by clvnklse, January 15, 2016, 12:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clvnklse

So I installed ML on my 650D mostly to record RAW videos.

But now i´m trying to record Raw MLV video at 24fps and 1280x512 but it only records about 6-8 seconds before it stops due to skipped frames...

ML tells me that the needed write speed for those settings is 26.2mb/s and my SD cards should be able to do that but still it isn´t working

my cards:

SanDisk Ultra SDHC I Class 10 (30MB/Sec)

SanDisk Ultra Micro SDHC I Class 10 which (as far as I know) should be able to get up to 80MB/Sec (I use it with the adapter that came with the card)

my question now:

What´s wrong here? Is it the cards or the camera?
And if it´s because of the cards then what cards should I get?

I was thinking about getting a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB Class 10 since... well... 95MB/Sec...

Walter Schulz

ExFAT is essential. Format card in cardreader using ExFAT option. Copy extracted nightly build contents to card. Run firmware update once again.
Retry shooting RAW/MLV.

Mehmet Kozal

45mb\s for raw is safe. I got a few 60mb\s' too for faster transfer speeds which I suggest if you will do a lot of mlraw filming.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

clvnklse

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the whole ExFat-thing now but there is absolutely no improvement. (no matter which card I'm using)

It won't record any longer than AT MOST 9 seconds (At 1280x512 since anything below that just kinda misses the point)

ML tells me that 13.6MB/Sec is the most it can do for continuous recording so im starting to believe that it has something to do with the camera...

Walter Schulz

Disable Global Draw. Load only modules needed for recording. Don't use MLV_SND.mo.
Not working?

Photo mode -> Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min). Start and press Play button after start. Post results here. (Benchmark run will generate a BENCHXX.PPM which can be converted to JPEG. Upload it somewhere and link it here).

clvnklse

Global Draw is disabled (idk why it says that it´s activated) and the only modules I´ve loaded are "mlv_play" and "mlv_rec".

Micro SD:

SD:

Walter Schulz

Overlay tab -> Global Draw OFF?

As you see the highest write rate this card is able to deliver in this mode is just about 14 MByte/s. You may verify this by using benchmark tools on your computer (CrystalDiskMark/ATTO/Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for Windows or just Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for OS X).

It's quite normal for card manufacturers to print the highest number on the card and this is read mode.
Get a decent one ...

clvnklse

I thought you meant the Global Draw setting under the MLV-RAW menu.

But still it didn't change anything + I can't see how much it crops in so that's obviously gonna make it harder to shoot anyway.

CrystalDiskMark:

MicroSD
Fastest read: 26.64MB/Sec
Fastest write: 13.84MB/Sec

SD
Fastest read: 26.43MB/Sec
Fastest write: 9.86MB/Sec

So I guess it's because of the cards...

What cards should I get then to get the best my 650D can deliver?

Walter Schulz

Cam's interface limit is about 41 MByte/s in write mode. Take something with 45 MByte/s write rate (or better) in sequential mode and you will be fine. UHS-II cards will be used in UHS-I mode only!
See http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/
I would stay away from Sony 94 MB/s. They seem to have troubles with Canon DSLRs.

Be sure to buy the card you selected and not the one only looking like the one you want.

clvnklse

Thank you very much.

And I'll get another SanDisk card.
I guess an Extreme Pro will do the job.