Can you convert a .MLV without the .MRX

Started by toakerson, January 10, 2016, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toakerson

I had a hard drive failure and I was able to recover some shots I needed from my memory card. I was only able to get the .MLV file though. I don't have the associated .MRX files. Is there a way to convert this to a .dng sequence without the .MRX? The MLRawViewer won't recognize it. Thanks for your help.

Tom

DeafEyeJedi

Assuming you're running OS X? Have you tried other converters such as MLVFS or MLP?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

toakerson

Sorry. I'm on windows but I have a Mac too. I haven't used those other converters but I'll try them out. Thanks.

dfort

According to the developer of MLRawViewer :

QuoteSince 1.4.2 is actually the development/testing version with new features and bugs, I would recommend to you to start with the stable series, e.g. 1.3.4. You may need to delete all the generated .MRX files next to the raw files, and the $HOME/.mlrawviewer directory to be on the safe side.

So maybe try a newer version of MLRawViewer and it should run without the .MRX files. I'm running 1.4.3 and it doesn't create .MRX files.

DeafEyeJedi

That's right I remember running into this years ago and deleting all current .MRX file within the directory did in fact solved the problem for the most part on the latest 1.4.3 MLRV -- good catch Dan!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kharak

.mrx files are basically the Player Settings of MLRawViewer for each MLV/Raw file that it has played. It has nothing to do with Conversion and in the cases where MLRawViewer doesn't play a MLV/RAW file it is most certaintly because the .MRX file is from an older/newer version of MLRawViewer.

So no worries in deleteing a .MRX file, as soon as you play the MLV again in MLRawViewer and  you do some changes to Curve or add LUT's etc., a new .MRX file will be generated.
once you go raw you never go back