How to use LUTS in MLP for color-grade & compare to other apps such as AE or DR?

Started by DeafEyeJedi, January 08, 2016, 07:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

All-

I thought of an idea (Thanks to @dfort & @Danne for jump starting this since I am obviously no expert in here ha!) to start a thread in discussion about proper ways of using certain LUTS in one of my favorite app/converters of all time which is @Danne's MLP for Mac OS X (even works well with MLVFS together to save some Disk Space) for new comers and/or to those that are curious on how it works exactly as it is indeed quite interesting and yet extremely useful to several of us including myself.

At the end of the day all of this is just so much fun and a beautiful piece of art that just never stops blooming regardless of how frustrating it may seem to most of us trying to learn on how to get the most out of Magic Lantern MLV RAW files in terms of achieving high Dynamic Range and Fabulous Colors along with Sharpness in Details, right?

So basically what am I hoping to gain out of this thread is mainly for all of us to consolidate and share our theories together in what we believe works best or doesn't work as well when combining your favorite LUTS Combo in the Lut_Hold Folder within MLP's workflow. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you obviously haven't tried MLP yet and please do give it a try because it's just awesome!

Admittedly, I have been a long-time user of Adobe AE's workflow (with ACR & SmartImport2) despite of the ridiculously long-ass rendering times (often though for good reasons) due to their masterful algorithm which renders out wonderful images especially in the shadows area for those massive MLV files. However, over the years I have slowly allow myself to absorb as much as possible into DaVinci Resolve 12's workflow (Thanks @baldanvenger for getting me on track!) and the more I play with it ... the more I understand why so many people use this free application over others, even the paid ones.

Not even sure if this is even a good idea? But the one thing I know for sure ... is the fact that this thread is definitely going to not only benefit me but for all of you guys on board as well in the long run while at the same time getting more of you Mac Guru's out there to use MLP for Mac OS X more often!  ;D

Let's get this party started...

Here are few examples:
MLP                                                                        DR12

https://vimeo.com/150005411

https://vimeo.com/150040638

https://vimeo.com/150147470

Questions/Concerns?

Chime on in...

On the To-Do's List:
•Screenflow of how I use MLP's LUTS.
•Screenshots of footage comparisons within MLP, AE, DR12.
•(if you guys can think of one ... comment me!)
•I'll do my best to maintain this thread!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

aschille84

Im also curious about this. Best results in MLP especially. I seem to get more color noise in shadows in DR12, maybe has something to do with my grading skills but still..
@DeafEyeJedi What LUT did you use for MLP in these clips?

Danne

One nice way to use MLP is to convert the VFX I/O luts in davinci resolve and the add them as 3D luts in the A_LUT_HOLD folder. A very nice combination for a ProRes4444 intermediate format is to add a log lut like the Linear_to_Rec.709.cube converted from the VFX I/O folder but also add the MLV_RAW_dng_dcraw_any_command.txt from the settings menu. So two files in the A_lut_hold folder. The MLV_RAW_dng_dcraw_any_command.txt is a dcraw setting which retains highlights. It will darken the picture a bit.

In the A_lut_hold folder
Linear_to_Rec.709.cube
MLV_RAW_dng_dcraw_any_command.txt

Here is a short example how you can create a 3D look combining two 1D luts in DaVinci Resolve.

You can add more luts by adding serial nodes and add luts to the next node. When exporting the lut you will get a baked 3D lut with all luts applied.

If you add multiple luts they will be picked in order listed first. Therefore if starting with a log name it something like 01_(name_of_lut).cube and the next lut named 02_(name_of_lut).cube