Canon 16-35 f/4 is
Image Resolution 3200x 1200
FPS override 23
Card spanning on
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Dec20.5D3113
Graded in DaVinci Resolve
Edited in Premire Pro CC

DeafEyeJedi

Incredible thing is you were able to achieve at least 5 seconds (or more) for recording times in 3.2K which is awesome!

Care to share which cards were you using for the SD slot as well as CF?

FPS override is actually @ 23 instead of 24?

If so, I wonder if that's what actually helps you to get the extra few seconds on each takes.

Thanks for sharing @baccinoluigi and also how many nodes did you use for grading in DR?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

baccinoluigi

The CF is a Komputerbay 1000x 64gb and a sd Komputerbay 64gb 600x
FPS override 23
I was using Preview Option set to Auto but using  the HaCHeD option i can get (sometimes) 6/7 seconds,
graded in davinci with 2/3 nodes.
This new option that allow to get 3200 pixel between 2880 and 3520  is very usefull.

beauchampy

Holy shit dude! Way to push this camera to it's limits!  8)

If only we could get faster than CF.. it would be a dream come true to get this image continuously.

goldenchild9to5

baccinoluigi

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

eyeland

I'd love to see this scaled to 4K and compared with other 4K solutions. Then again, like so many others, I don't have a 4K monitor for doing that :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

axelcine

WOW! Who would'a thunk it? This is what many have sought to achieve, but few accomplish (sorry if I overlooked other extremely fine videos).

Where was it shot?
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

DeafEyeJedi

*chuckles* I enjoy & love how you formulate into words whenever you write/type, @axelcine!

Quote from: eyeland on January 12, 2016, 07:15:37 PM
I'd love to see this scaled to 4K and compared with other 4K solutions. Then again, like so many others, I don't have a 4K monitor for doing that :)

+1

Also this leads me to another question ... Did you use card warm-up at all and at least shot in exFAT on your CF card, correct?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

baccinoluigi

QuoteWOW! Who would'a thunk it? This is what many have sought to achieve, but few accomplish (sorry if I overlooked other extremely fine videos).
Where was it shot?
Thanks, the video was shot in Italy: west Ligurian coast

baccinoluigi

QuoteAlso this leads me to another question ... Did you use card warm-up at all and at least shot in exFAT on your CF card, correct?
Yes i warm-up  the card with 256mb and cuple of shot before get 5 seconds of video and both cards are formatted exFAT.

cmccullum

The shots look great, and I'm impressed by the numbers, but can someone detail what exactly it is that's so astonishing about this? Is it just the fact that he managed 3.5k, or is there some aspect of the picture that I'm missing? Could these shots not be achieved at a lower resolution?

I'm not being a downer, honestly asking for clarity

jarra

THIS! Is incredible :D I immediately signed up to the forum. Watching on YT at the highest res is like looking through a window into RL. Canon colour-science at that resolution, truly stunning!

I was so excited to receive my 5D3 in the post yesterday and can't wait to experiment with my anamorphic lens kit arriving next month. Thanks for the ML inspiration!

axelcine

@DeafEyeJedi - thanx for your kind words - you yourself being a contributor of fine imagery and footage and excellent research, and on so many occasions giving me good reason for positive afterthoughts.
@cmccullum - this footage is so crisp and vivid - just like jarra wrote, like looking through a window - but I think, it's important for us 'nerds' that we seek to get the utmost from our cameras, both in terms of the final product, and in terms of the process itself. We get high by stressing our cams wildly beyond what the manufacturer promises, and afterwards stressing ourselves with a lengthy and complicated post-process. For many of us the long haul behind the cam and then the many hours processing is just as rewarding as the result. And it's my firm belief, that the eminent people behind ML think likewise and find happiness in what they can achieve with their programming skills and giving good advice, and how happy we are with what they have made possible - like this astounding footage from Italy.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

kgv5

I tried also 2880x1080 (2,67:1) with these settings: 23fps, global draw off, preiew options: hacked. With sandisk cf 128 160mb/s i could take 12-14 seconds of footage. With 23,976 fps  - 10sec. With global draw: allow and preview: auto - 8-9 sec. I wonder if the difference in resolution between 3,2K and 2,9K would be visible (i doubt it).

With fully usable 2880x1226 (2,35:1) 24fps global draw:allow and preview:auto  - 5 seconds of footage.

I have to make a comparison :)

BTW: 2880 horizontal resolution is like alexa with arriraw ;) ;)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

jmanord

Very nice footage! Have you attempted any solutions for audio capture/sync in crop mode at these high resolutions?

cmccullum

@axelcine thanks for the explanation. That's kind of what I figured, but I've only looked at the video on my phone (shame on me I know haha). I still question though if the same image could be achieved at lower resolution.

Tbh, I'm trying to find a reason to get on the 4K (3k, 2.5k) wagon aside from being able to crop in post. Maybe I just haven't done enough looking around, but I'm still seeing great looking images shot at 1080, and aside from this example Not so wowing 4K stuff

baccinoluigi

@jmanord Thanks
At 3200 and 2880 i've some problem to capture internal audio with my camera (i dont know others)
best solution for audio it's 2560 with little sync in post.
Using 2560 x 960 2:67 24 Fps  i can achieve continuously video and audio.

axelcine

If capturing internal audio is a problem, then go for ext audio. Frees ressources on cam and is more flexible when sync'ing in post.

ibrahim

At 2.39:1, 23fps (exact fps), global draw off, preview options hacked, I try to set the resolution at 2880 but it says: "2880 is not possible in current video mode (max 1920)". I tried recording set at it yet it doesn't apply at resolution. Any idea what I'm missing here? :)
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Walter Schulz

ibrahim

Riiight, thanks Walter it's working now. :)
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

ibrahim

I've tried different resolutions but still getting several skipping frames?

These are the ones I've tried:

At 2.39:1, 24fps (exact fps), global draw off, preview options auto, 2880x1206 ---> skipping frames

At 2.39:1, 24fps (exact fps), global draw off, preview options auto, 2560x1072 ---> skipping frames

At 2.39:1, 23,976fps (exact fps), global draw off, preview options auto, movie tweaks off, 2560x1072 ---> skipping frames

at 23 fps my mlrawviwer won't open the mlv file and my raw2cdng crashes.

Walter Schulz

Of course it is skipping frames. It's about 110 MByte/s and OP had clearly stated to be bound to 6-7 seconds continuous recording.
How long are your takes, which cards are you using (spanning enabled?) and which ML version are you running? Are you sure to have a version running *without* logging (= causing overhead)?