RAW video problem using Tragic Lantern 2.0 on Canon 600D

Started by Odin, December 31, 2015, 01:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odin

Hello everybody.
Today I got my hands on Magic Lantern and I have installed it. Then I found Tragic Lantern that allows to record RAW video. And here goes a problem: my video is totally red but and almost completely dark at 100-200-300 ISO. I use technicolor cinestyle profile and with default canon settings it gives much better picture. Plus, recording stops after 200-300 fps in 960x544 if I move the camera a little bit. I read that this resolution perfectly fits Canon CPU...
What's the problem?
I can attach screens with setting and a preview of raw files if need to solve this issue.

dmilligan

TL is not supported here (and AFAIK not supported at all anymore). Furthermore it is dangerous: all sorts of safety checks and warnings are disabled, features enabled that were known to have caused soft bricks in rare instances, and there have been reports of data loss and corruption even after it was uninstalled. Therefore I highly recommend you stop using it immediately.

Odin

I did, but with the latest ML build I still can't record 960x544 video in RAW. Recording stops after 100-200 frames....
Lower resolution works better.

dmilligan

960 * 544 * 24 * 14 / 8 = 21.3 MB/s

This is right on the edge of the maximum speed of the camera's SD interface, which is somewhere around 20 or 21 MB/s. So it may not be possible or at best unreliable for continuous recording.

Picture profiles do not apply to raw video.

Your camera has an ISO 300?

If the image appears too dark at a particular ISO, then increase exposure (slower shutter or wider aperture) or add more light to the scene.  If neither of those is possible then increase ISO (it's always best to ETTR, higher ISO have less noise per photon). With raw video you should always use raw exposure tools like raw zebras or raw histogram to get exposure, never judge exposure from the way the LCD "looks".

Adjust white balance (there is no WB metadata in the raw format).