60D RAW Problem

Started by shakeDzi, November 28, 2015, 06:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakeDzi

Hi guys, i'm using ML for already a few weeks and everything went just fine. I'm using a 60D.
In the last week my RAW video results ,specially at low light conditions, became very bad! Dark, Contrasty ,Grungy, Warm.
I tried to play with the WB but it didn't help. Does anyone know what can it be?
I uploaded two photos for comparison, 1st is normal H.264 and the 2nd is the RAW disaster.

Normal H.264 + Cinestyle - 1080p:

RAW + Cinestyle - 1728x736:

Thank you for your assistant!

dmilligan

1. Cinestyle does not apply to raw video.
2. Adjust the white balance.
3. Don't underexpose.

If you want more help than that you need to provide a lot more information (settings, post workflow, original sample files, etc.)

shakeDzi

Tonight i will shot a new one and i will tell you the exact settings.
My post process is:
1. Extract the RAW file with Raw2dng to DNG files.
2. Import in Lightroom for adjustments.
3. Export from Lightroom.
4. Import in Premiere and export as a video.

I already tried to change the Whitebalance but nothing changed. as you can see the H.264 version is Cooler.

shakeDzi

Shot this one at 2.8f, shutter 50, 1600 ISO. WB: 1500K (as cool as possible). - more so, the room has good light conditions.
As you can see the image is still warm and noisy. Does anyone has an idea what can solve the problem? or what is the source of the problem?

dmilligan

Please post original DNG file.

These two statements:
Quote from: shakeDzi on November 30, 2015, 04:57:39 PM
1600 ISO.
Quote from: shakeDzi on November 30, 2015, 04:57:39 PM
the room has good light conditions.
are in direct contradiction with each other. A room that has good light conditions does not require ISO 1600.

You should expect a fair amount of noise at ISO 1600. Expose to the right as much as possible and/or get better lighting.

The H.264 encoder smears fine details including noise. That's why you see less noise in h.264, because there's also less detail in general.

Just to make sure, you are adjusting the WB in lightroom correct? not just in camera?

Only MLV format (mlv_rec.mo) has WB metadata from camera (RAW format has no metadata, and the raw data itself has no white balance, it is raw), and only some MLV converters respect camera WB metadata anyway.

Levas

You need to change the white balance in Lightroom.
Changing the white balance in camera won't affect raw video (wb is only added as metadata)
Not all mlv converters do something with the metadata

shakeDzi

I will try to adjust the WB properly in Lightroom. As i remember its gets very noisy. Should i still over expose when i'm shooting?
For your request, a DNG file from my last sequence:
http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/pntzAJed/file.html

Another question, does Camera Profile apply in RAW shooting?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: shakeDzi on December 01, 2015, 05:24:10 AM
Another question, does Camera Profile apply in RAW shooting?

See first reply, first line.

shakeDzi

Well, there are other Camera Profiles besides Cinestyle.

DeafEyeJedi

Yes, there are but none of them affects RAW shooting. I use them just for exposing purposes within the LiveView of cameras.

If you want similar flat log's to start with in post then perhaps check out @Andy600's Cinelog-C (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10151.0)

or if curious on making your own log/LUTS then check out this thread by @baldavenger (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15801.0) and good luck!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109