Shooting in 2.5K RAW without 5x Crop on a Canon 7D Using an External Monitor

Started by MatthewPederson, November 15, 2015, 10:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthewPederson

Hi there,

I currently use a Canon T3i with Magic Lantern and I'm looking to upgrade to a Canon 7D so I can use the 2.5K RAW feature. I'm willing to deal with the 10-15 second limit on recording time, however, I would find filming on 5x crop unacceptable, since I often shoot on a steadicam and need to know exactly what my framing is. So I was wondering if using an external monitor would solve or at least alleviate this problem. I'm thinking of using a Swivi SV-50H II LCD Monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Swivi-SV-50H-II-External-Monitor/dp/B00E3VSA7W) but I want to make sure I would be able to film without zooming the monitor in before buying it. Would anyone know if using this or another external monitor could solve the issue? And if not, what else could?

Thanks,
Matthew

Walter Schulz

No way.
"Native" raw movie resolution is vertical and horizontal pixel count divided by 3. Do the math.
There are 2 options to get photo raw resolution but they are good for time lapse only: FRSP (Full resolution silent pics) or shutter wearing burst mode.

MatthewPederson

Okay, so if I'm following the math right, the maximum RAW resolution I could get from a 7D is 1728x1152, a 3:2 aspect ratio.

However, the information I'm really looking for is whether or not I can film at least ~1080p RAW video on a 7D video WITHOUT using 5x crop by using an external monitor (maybe a 4K monitor?) or some other method because I need to be able to see exactly what I'm filming.

Sorry if this is a too specific, but I would really like to know before I invest the time and money into a new 7D.

Walter Schulz

I suppose "no way" doesn't transport the meaning I intended. Try
nada, zilch, niente, njet, nein, non
instead.

MatthewPederson

Thank you, Walter, your meaning was very concisely communicated. However, I'm not looking to start a flame war, I'm just looking for some information and helpful clarification, so thank you again for responding and I'll continue my research elsewhere...

Audionut