Am I shooting to 5D mark iii ML's maximum potential?

Started by mahmutakay, November 11, 2015, 01:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahmutakay

I'm shooting RAW with my Canon 5D mark iii, at 1920x1080 resolution with 16:9. I want to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio and shoot to the highest resolution. When I try to select the highest resolution it tells me that I can't in the current video mode.

Is this the highest resolution I can shoot in or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers.

hjfilmspeed

Yeah look into crop mode. There are plenty of tutorials on this. Canon set up there liew view mode to be fixed at 1920x1080. When you take normal non ML video you are just tapping that signal. ML RAW video just feeds off that signal. Most likely there is nothing ML can do about that. How ever when you hit the crop mode, canon now zooms in on the full signal and that's where ML can pull out higher resolutions but you lose full frame. 1920x1080 RAW video from the 5d3 is quite incredible. It really has a unique look. I suggest sticking with that. Its been incredibly sharp.

mahmutakay

Thanks for the information, much appreciated it.

So I've been researching tutorials and more information, though I wanted to clarify some things.

Is crop mode simply a way of increasing the focal length of your lens without losing quality?

When you shoot in crop mode, does it convert your lens into a longer lens - OR does it allow you to shoot at the same focal length of your lens but because it records such high resolution, it gives you the option to punch-in into shots in post?

I shot some footage in 1920x1080 though I would love for it to be more detailed: https://vimeo.com/144889664

allemyr

I wouldn't look inte crop mode for this reason. Ofcourse cropmode is great sometimes but the grain isn't as good and other stuff but when you need cropmode you need it.
Try looking in to Davinci Resolve sharpen settings, default amount is 10 for sharpness and radius is in the middle at around 50, what if you lower the sharpnes radius to let's say 48 and sharpen the image from the default 10 to around 40-60?
5D is a very soft camera because it has a high resolution 21mp, and to get good video with no moire and bad antialiasing it has to be soft. I guess that there is better cameras out there that shoot CDNG and is fullframe 35mm,
but they are rather expensive. I don't think the image is to soft in your video, I've been using a Canon hyrbid IS lens sometimes like the 100mm 2.8 IS L and now, now I want a Ronin M for all my shots without stabilization in camera. . Even when there is no major movement.

hjfilmspeed

Hmm I don't find the 5d3 in RAW video to be soft at all. Actually I think it's quite sharp, but not too sharp.

Crop mode doesn't technically change your lens focal length of you lens, what it does do is change the field of view your able to get because you are zoom in on the sensor pixel for pixel. The camera is no longer "binning information like in full frame 1080 mode. Yes you can achieve higher resolutions but trade off is:
1 Harder to frame and focus
2 Could be more noise at lower resolution since you are zooming in on it
3 Potentially more rolling shutter
4 slightly decreased dynamic range

allemyr

Hi,

I probably amplified the 5D3 image softness a bit. But I think it's not as easy to sharpen as the Arri Alexa for example. Not far away though, but I usually go a bit lower on the radius in Davinci Resolve to get a crisper image. Don't get me wrong I love the 5D3 RAW image, and it's a camera I will keep for a long while. And together with the full version of Davinci Resolve it's just a great combo, you can get noise free image at 1600 or almost even at ISO 3200 which is super cool because some say the max ISO for the 5D3 is around 200 or 400.