Does Magic Lantern have a version for 5ds

Started by TTGoMoDz, November 08, 2015, 01:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTGoMoDz

I have a 5ds and i was wondering is or when will a version come out for it

Walter Schulz

Nobody is working on it. Act like there will be no ML port for this cam ever.

ddelreal

wavydoom

I am waitting for this version too. I dont shot the video on 5DS, but relly relly need dual iso working on it.

KelvinK

Quote from: wavydoom on November 11, 2015, 08:40:37 PM
I am waitting for this version too. I dont shot the video on 5DS, but relly relly need dual iso working on it.

There's no point to wait. It will be never released. Live with it or change camera with larger DR.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Walter Schulz

Some people just won't take no for an answer ... or can't.

axelcine

Hey, guys, the new 5's are good cameras and a lot of people are just loving them to pieces. A zillion megapixels, just put four wheels under the cam and it'll fetch your bagels and the newspaper. But - which one of you is providing a copy of the relevant firmware - a dump - for the clever dudes to work on? And - this is really important - look at the features list http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features. So many Canons have very different intestines, that ML actually is a new and uncharted tool from cam to cam. That is an enormous effort those programmers have achieved, analysing every single cam. If the new 5's turn out to be a hit, you can be sure, that those magic lanterns we have programming this fine software, will turn up with something. But you'll have to be patient.

And here is something else: The full frame Canons have so many features built in, that you'll have your hands full the next year, if you want to be able to exploit all the aspects of your new cam. Get to know your cam before you venture out into the ML universe. Good luck, and be very happy for your 5'er. It's a gem.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

wavydoom

Hi KelvinK! Why develop team wont relese that? I just wondering why.

Is Canon lock the CPU of 5DS/R for us so we cant make it?

If that is so .....   I'm so sorry for that.  oh no my poor 5DSR :-[

l_d_allan

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 08, 2015, 01:41:26 AM
Nobody is working on it. Act like there will be no ML port for this cam ever.
Quote from: KelvinK on November 13, 2015, 02:26:18 PM
There's no point to wait. It will be never be released. Live with it or change camera with larger DR.

Are either of the replies official? From someone on the dev team? Or not?

To me, it seems a completely legitimate question to ask about a road-map for a port to the 5ds and 5ds/r models. My understanding is that is considered trolling. I see it as very complimentary to the ML dev team that people are very enthusiastic about ML on a new camera, especially to have Dual-ISO.

If I was in the market for one of those cameras, the eventual release of ML would greatly help in the decision. If ML made an official statement of "No, not ever!" like they have for the 1Dx, then I would have that much less interest in the 5ds or 5ds/r.

I'm less-than-informed about crowd-sourcing, but perhaps such a campaign would be mounted to get a used 5ds for a1ex. The street price on both, but especially the 5ds, seems to have gone down drastically. That seems like it would increase the interest level. Perhaps LensRentals would be willing to give a huge discount to a1ex for a lengthy rental?

Walter Schulz

A1ex made it clear he's - at time of writing - not willing/able to take the burden maintaining additional cam's on top of the tasks and duties he already has.
I hope you are able to accept this.

Kuja

It is a shame, since it seems that the 5Ds has superior video quality compared to the 5D MkIII.

Recently we have used both cameras simultaneously.

5Ds footage was cleaner, sharper and more detailed, closer to the real 1080 resolution and there was no aliasing visible.

reddeercity

??? I find that hard to believe , Can you Post some frame of each ?
It's still just h264 even if you used all "I" it's a 8bit 4:2:0 Vs. 14bit raw image sequence
Even thou it's a 50Mp sensor 5DS has only a pixel pitch of 4.14 microns,
whereas the 5D Mark III's sensor has a pixel pitch of 6.25 microns
Which is better . Catches more light
5DS Camera Spec's
Aspect Ratio: 16:9  ( Video mode maybe ? )
1. Large: Approx. 42.5 Megapixels (8688 x 4888)
2. Medium 1: Approx. 33.2 Megapixels (7680 x 4320)
3. Medium 2: Approx. 18.7 Megapixels (5760 x 3240)
4. S1 (Small 1): Approx. 10.5 Megapixels (4320 x 2432)
5. S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.1 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
6. S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.28 Megapixels (720 x 408)
it you do the math  there's a 4.5 interpolation of the sensor to get 1080p
unless I'm not understanding something , there may be some sort of pixel binding , line skipping ?
and there are not even using the full sensor

Levas

Never seen the 5ds or a video of it.
But it's very likely that it uses the same 3x pixelbinning and 3x lineskipping in video mode as most canon DSLRs
That is in 16:9 full sensor width.
That gives 8688/3= 2896 horizontal resolution and a 4888/3=1629 vertical resolution
Then the video is downscaled and compressed to h264.
Because the image is downscaled from a higher then HD resolution it could explain why it looks more sharp then other canon DSLRs.

Kuja

QuoteCan you Post some frame of each ?

I'm affraid I can't.
This was a commercial job (two music videos) and I'm not free to share screenshots on public forums without client's permission.

Fortunately, it is possible to rent both cameras and to do the comparison.

jrumans

Realistically, what would it take to get ML on the 5ds or 1dx, if it is possible? Are there any devs that actually own a 1dx or 5ds? The 1dx ii is right around the corner and CR is speculating 4k at 60fps. Whether or not ML appears on the 1dx ii greatly influences my decision to purchase, you guys have spoiled us!
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

Walter Schulz

Devs are adamant about not messing with Canon's pro gear. It's no-go area. No ML for "C" and 1D. Ever.