This is my first post on Magic Lantern forums! I am using CHDK since early 2009 on my PowerShot cameras and as I knew my next camera would be an EOS, Magic Lantern had to The Place to go. After trying it on a friend's EOS M, I was speechless about how awesome ML really is! Hats off to all the devs!
But the camera of my choice was: brand new Canon EOS 760D / Rebel T6s. Knowingly, ML didn't exist for T6s. I was first reluctant to buy the camera for the same reason! Then after a long thought, I bought the camera just last week and really loving it!
Coming to back to ML: I am interested in helping to port Magic Lantern to 760D / T6s
. I don't have a previous experience of porting any firmware, but I bear decent knowledge of C, C++ and microcontroller programming. I work with Windows Graphics Drivers for my bread n' butter.
What I have been through so far:
- Made an account on bitbucket.org and forked the ML repository
- Downloaded the Linux VM with pre-built toolchain (thanks, nanomad!) for Magic Lantern development and able to boot in it via VirtualBox
- Downloaded source code inside the VM
- Tweaked (commented out, to be frank) the code that caused build-errors and built the .bin files for all individual models
- I have PM'd a1ex asking for help in providing Firmware Dumping Utility for 760D/T6s. I am waiting for his reply.
If anyone can ping him or get any other help here, that would be really great! (Pardon for being a bit immature here)
Posts that I am reading up for gaining relevant information:
My immediate next plans (please correct me if I am doing wrong):
- Get the Firmware Dumper from senior devs and dump the firmware
- Disassemble the dump
- Analyse the disassembly to find function stubs
- Read up ML source code in parallel
- A lot more stuff unknown to me as of now!
I am yet to understand how much of a code change there will be for 760D (as a jump from 700D/T5i) since the DIGIC series has gone a step ahead. I will be open to discuss this from the Day 1.
Is there anything I could do with current code till the time I get the firmware dumped? Could any of you share other camera firmware dumps and I could try booting it on QEMU and put ML on it? (I am real newbie here and might be completely saying wrong things!)
I am hoping to drive this well as my first colaborative project and will be extremely thankful for any kind of help!
P.S. I was not able to create a thread under Camera-specific discussion
board somehow, so creating a thread here. Admins may move the thread to the appropriate board.