Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Enter crop mode by pressing magnify/loupe button. Select resolution after.

IDA_ML

A brief update to the latest developments on the 100D.
=================================

Due to the incredible joint efforts of ErwinH and Danne (hopefully, I am not missing anyone) we can now record losslessly compressed RAW video with sound using the RAW_rec (MLV-Lite) module.  Here is a test build that does this:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct22.100D101_audio.zip

Here are some performance data:

1) In the 8...11 bit lossless mode at 1728x972 resolution and 24 fps in the Normal and Movie crop mode - continuous recording with sound; card write speed is 31.4 MB/s; playback in camera working.

2) In the 12 bit lossless mode at 1728x972 resolution and 24 fps in the Normal and Movie crop mode - continuous recording with sound; card write speed is 34.6 MB/s; playback in camera working.

Prior art (for comparison):
-----------------------------
15.5 s. recording time with sound at the 1728x972 resolution and 10 bit uncompressed - still available and working with the MLV_rec module.

3) In the 14 bit lossless mode at 1728x972 resolution and 24 fps in the Normal and Movie crop mode - about 450 frames with sound; playback in camera working.

The recorded MLV-files in the above 3 modes open and play nicely with sound in the latest v. 3171 of MLVProducer.  It allows adjustments, color grading and even applying grades from one clip to the other using the Copy/Paste function in the Render Queue.  You have to use Render task to export the clips one by one.  The Render Queue function is not stable enough yet.

Not working:
========

A.  In camera playback of uncompressed 10 and 12 bit files (black screen but the frame counter works).  This behavior is observed in both: the MLV_rec and RAW_rec modules.  Obviously, the raw_twk module for the 100D needs a fix.

B.  At 5x magnification where resolutions of up to 2520x1080 with about 6s. recording time in the 8...11 bit LL compression mode are possible, sound is missing.  If sound is necessary at higher resolutions, the MLV_rec module should be used at 10-bit and up to 2496x1080 resolution, just for about 3-4s. though. 

----------------------------

Thank you ErwinH, Danne, AWPStar and all other developers involved for these outstanding achievements!

canneloni

Thanks IDA for this detailed information. I tried a build i found (somewhere, not sure where) from Danne sound for losless. But I always had out of sync sound. Is this resolved with the newest build? And is there any info on ISO settings wich should be avoided for the different modes? Thanks again to everyone involved for this great software, your hard work and all the info on it!
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

Danne

Do post any findings about audio and post the feedback in the mlv_lite thread. MLV examples are best.
Once again. I only compiled what A1ex, Nikfreak, erwinH and others made possible for me and others todo with this little camera :).

IDA_ML

Quote from: canneloni on October 24, 2017, 06:03:57 PM
Thanks IDA for this detailed information. I tried a build i found (somewhere, not sure where) from Danne sound for losless. But I always had out of sync sound. Is this resolved with the newest build? And is there any info on ISO settings wich should be avoided for the different modes? Thanks again to everyone involved for this great software, your hard work and all the info on it!

I used the build from my previous post that was sent to me by Danne.  I found it to work amazingly well at all ISOs from 100 to 6400 in the lossless modes.  I recorded up to about 2 min. and when I saw the green indicator flashing I decided to stop it since this meant "continuous recording" to me.  I did not test if sound and video run synchronously but it appeared to me that sound and video tracks are equally long in duration.  In MLVProducer video and sound seemed to stop simultaneously.  When I find some time, I will run some more tests and check again synchronicity.   

Quote from: Danne on October 24, 2017, 06:10:12 PM
Once again. I only compiled what A1ex, Nikfreak, erwinH and others made possible for me and others todo with this little camera :).

I am awfully sorry if I missed to mention someone who was actively involved in these joint activities.  And if I did, I apologize for that. I am relatively new to this forum, so it is impossible for me to know who was involved in a particular development.   I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate this unbelievable international joint effort and I thank all people involved in it one way or another.  Keep up this excellent creative work, guys and be aware that you do not only advance technology, you bring people together and make them happy in this crazy and hostile world.  And I thank you for that too!

edt

HI - not been following this for 12 months. Does it now have the audio tab implemented?

12georgiadis

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing a bullet time sequence with green screen where characters are not frozen but in movement. To do that, I'm thinking about renting 70 pieces of SL1/100D and 18-55mm in lossless 12 bits 24fps @ 1728*972 without using 1:1 mode.
But I'm afraid of focus dots and aliasing (I don't have it to test). Does someone can provide a test shooting at wide angle with latest build and some small details in the frame ? That would be very helpful to see the potential of 100D without the need of VAF filter. If this test is good, I'm doing the bullet time test and will post it in December =)
Thanks to all !

Danne

Cool. I'm out atm but will try to get you some footage tomorrow.

Walter Schulz

Cannot help with samples but I think there might be a show stopper at hand:
100D is out of stock for some time and IMO not among those cams rental agencies stocked up in such quantities. I would suggest to make sure you can get hold of that number at all.

12georgiadis

I'm currently looking for it. Found this rental but it's only with 1100D - 1200D - 1300D - 750D...
https://www.ostron.be/nl/te-huur/detail/canon-dslr-pakket

IDA_ML

As long as you don't have long horizontal straight lines in your wide angle shots (wires, horizontal building edges, brick walls, etc.) you don't have to worry about aliasing at 12-bit lossless and 1728x972 resolution. The 100D does a hell of a job resolving fine detail with the 18-55 STM lens.   If you use MLVFS or MLVProducer on Windows you don't have to worry about focus dots either.  Maybe Danne can tell you more about his Mac tools for killing focus dots.

What you want to do sounds very interesting.  How do you want to control so many 100D-s simultaneously?

12georgiadis

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 04, 2017, 01:07:13 AM
As long as you don't have long horizontal straight lines in your wide angle shots (wires, horizontal building edges, brick walls, etc.) you don't have to worry about aliasing at 12-bit lossless and 1728x972 resolution. The 100D does a hell of a job resolving fine detail with the 18-55 STM lens.   If you use MLVFS or MLVProducer on Windows you don't have to worry about focus dots either.  Maybe Danne can tell you more about his Mac tools for killing focus dots.

What you want to do sounds very interesting.  How do you want to control so many 100D-s simultaneously?

Thank you IDA_ML ! I'm filming people and they can have small details on the clothes. For the control, it was my next question. We can do it by hands of course and sync it with a clap + plural eyes. But I also saw some custom console that triggers all the dslr. But it was used in photo mode and I don't know if it's doable to control rec button for raw with magiclantern...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

nikfreak

Already considered "audio remoteshot" ?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

12georgiadis

Quote from: nikfreak on November 04, 2017, 09:43:41 AM
Already considered "audio remoteshot" ?
Is it the function where you clap in your hands and it's taking a picture ? Do you think it can work to trigger the rec function of all cameras ? That would be fantastic !

a1ex

Audio remote should work with videos as well; however, last time this code was touched was many years ago. No idea if it still works.

Another way: if you can connect a remote release cable to each camera, mlv_lite already has half-shutter triggers (they work from the remote half-shutter signal as well).

None of the above will sync LiveView clocks. Perfect sync would be important for stereo matching; I have no idea if it matters in your case (gut feeling says yes, but I've never tried something like this). Possible to implement, just not trivial (might require some hours or days of experimenting).

12georgiadis

Quote from: a1ex on November 04, 2017, 11:04:36 AM
Audio remote should work with videos as well; however, last time this code was touched was many years ago. No idea if it still works.

Another way: if you can connect a remote release cable to each camera, mlv_lite already has half-shutter triggers (they work from the remote half-shutter signal as well).

None of the above will sync LiveView clocks. Perfect sync would be important for stereo matching; I have no idea if it matters in your case (gut feeling says yes, but I've never tried something like this). Possible to implement, just not trivial (might require some hours or days of experimenting).
Thanks a1ex for the tips. I'll try the audio remote because so many cables are expansive. I'd like to make a clap to start all dslr then making a clap that all cameras can see. It would allow me to sync manually or with audio waveform signals. I'm not sure to need live view clock and stereo matching.

12georgiadis

Other question : how much MB/s take the 8...11bits lossless+sound ? What is the max MB/s of the 100D ? Can we hope that it can handle mlv 8...11 sound + proxy h264? Even if we have to low the bitrate  of the h264. Thanks

Update : is the crop mode x3 or x5?
On raw calc, it says 40MB/s max and continuous lossless 8bits. Is it exact ?

edt

Quote from: edt on November 01, 2017, 04:29:17 PM
HI - not been following this for 12 months. Does it now have the audio tab implemented?

Anyone? Reason I ask my 100D was stolen last year & I'm tempted to get another one. If ML supports sound that'll make my mind up!

IDA_ML

Quote from: 12georgiadis on November 06, 2017, 08:03:54 AM
Other question : how much MB/s take the 8...11bits lossless+sound ? What is the max MB/s of the 100D ? Can we hope that it can handle mlv 8...11 sound + proxy h264? Even if we have to low the bitrate  of the h264. Thanks

Update : is the crop mode x3 or x5?
On raw calc, it says 40MB/s max and continuous lossless 8bits. Is it exact ?

My 100D writes at 41.6 MB/s.  I can record 8...11 bit and 12 bit lossless with sound continuously at 1728x972 resolution.  Never tried the H264 proxy though.  I think, this will be too much for this little camera.

Quote from: edt on November 07, 2017, 10:08:02 PM
Anyone? Reason I ask my 100D was stolen last year & I'm tempted to get another one. If ML supports sound that'll make my mind up!

Why don't you just read the last few posts?  They give the exact answer to your question.  Go ahead and buy the 100D.  It is a hell of a camera.

a1ex

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 07, 2017, 11:06:17 PM
Why don't you just read the last few posts?  They give the exact answer to your question.

They do not. This does.

That said, you have manual audio controls in Canon menu.

12georgiadis

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 07, 2017, 11:06:17 PM
My 100D writes at 41.6 MB/s.  I can record 8...11 bit and 12 bit lossless with sound continuously at 1728x972 resolution.  Never tried the H264 proxy though.  I think, this will be too much for this little camera.

Thanks IDA. 41.6MB/s is very very good. If 8...11 bits lossless is arround 30MB/s in good situation, we could maybe use h264 proxy at 0.1x CBR which use arround 6MB/s (http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bit_rate#CBR 0.1x). But I don't know the average bitrate for 8...11 on 100D.

For the crop mode, is it x3 or x5 ?

Thanks !

Danne

H.264 usually breaks filming completely, freezes, stuttery live view etc. Something else going on than just bitrate bottleneck. Same issues with eosm.

IDA_ML

Quote from: 12georgiadis on November 08, 2017, 08:06:41 AM
But I don't know the average bitrate for 8...11 on 100D.

For the crop mode, is it x3 or x5 ?

If you select the 8...11 bit lossless mode the camera will automatically decide which bitrate it will shoot at dependent on the ISO.  At low ISOs (say 100-400) it will shoot at 11 bits.  At high ISOs (6400 or 12800) it will shoot at 8 bits. 

As far as the crop mode is concerned, the 100D has a 18 mp APS-C sensor.  This means that the crop factor is 1,6x in the normal recording mode.  This will turn a 50 mm lens into a 80 mm one, referenced to a 36 mm full frame (FF) sensor.  In the Movie crop mode you will have to multiply this number by a factor of 3 meaning that now your 50 mm lens becomes a 50x1,6x3=240 mm lens, again referenced to FF.  As far as the crop factor at 5x magnification is concerned, it will depend on the resolution set.  You can check it out by yourself using this Magic Lantern RAW calculator:

http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_desktop

When you check the Crop mode mark and play with the resolution you will see that at the maximum resolution of 2496x1080 your Crop factor is 3,34x while at 1728x972 it is 4,82x. The calculator will also give you the Field of view in angular degrees for these crop factors.

Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2017, 12:52:06 AM
They do not. This does.

That said, you have manual audio controls in Canon menu.

I cannot quite follow what you mean.  If I understood Edt's question properly, he asked if ML supports sound recording with RAW video on the 100D.  If that was his question the answer is definitely yes and I provided detailed data on that in my post #901.  This was confirmed also by others in this thread.  This is the reason why I suggested that he should read the last few posts.

12georgiadis

Ok great ! I only used the raw calc for bitrate but now that you said that I'll look at the other functions !

edt

Sorry seems I wasn't clear. When i had a 60d with ML there was an audio tab allowing for monitoring audio. When i had a 100d there was no audio tab. Wondering if the more recent ML  os for 100d now has this tab. Not fussed about raw etc etc