Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saidur

Hey guys, I have the SL2 and saw that there is no mention of it being in progress or supported.

Do you guys know if the software for SL1 is close enough to work with the SL2 or know if there are any plans to support the SL2? If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  :)

a1ex

Quick question: how many FPS do you have in photo mode by default?

(look in the FPS override submenu, without enabling the main entry - just read the grayed out values, including FPS timers)

nikfreak

LV 59.946
A 528
B 1011

in 1080p30crop one can even override from 30fps to 45fps w/o hangs - just the camera couldn't handle it for writing H264 / raw
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

a1ex

Interesting - I have a feeling overriding this to 30 or lower might give better battery life in photo mode.

nikfreak

sure but my assumption as it has HYBRID CMOS AF II and by trying it felt slower, dunno danne might try too. Maybe also placebo cause 60fps feels very fluid ofc:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/ca46ef40a96128642438d19ad5242fdeaa6676cf/src/fps-engio.c?at=100D_merge_fw101&fileviewer=file-view-default#fps-engio.c-250
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

jacekp

Hi. I'm complete noob, trying to enable just RAW on 100D, but failed (reading forum all day with no solution).

After installing ML (tried crop_rec_4k, nightly_build and 10_12bit) when I enable just mlv_rec or mlv_light, restart and try to enable RAW Video, I got 0x0 resolution (can change it only when 'movie crop mode' enabled). In movie crop mode, whatever resolution:
- mlv_lite: records few seconds and tells: stopped automatically, data corruption....
- mlv_rec: records and does not responding
when i turn off 'movie crop mode' (I got now some resolution, not 0x0) and record (whichever 10-14bit or whichever aspect ratio) I got
- mlv_lite and mvl_rec: RAW detect error.

Any solution? Maybe my SD card is a problem? I use MICRO SD (Sandisk Extreme U1 64GB) with SD Adapter. It is working fine in not-hacked mode and in other not hacked camera.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: jacekp on October 14, 2017, 02:35:05 AM
...Maybe my SD card is a problem? I use MICRO SD (Sandisk Extreme U1 64GB) with SD Adapter. It is working fine in not-hacked mode and in other not hacked camera.

Most likely the culprit. Please avoiding using MicroSD's in SD Adapters whenever possible and try again with a decent SD card if you can especially while using ML.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

I have to disagree. Adapters for Micro-SD should not cause problems at all. Faulty ones are extremly rare. (SD-to-CF adapters are another ballpark. In this case most adapters are just crap.)
@jacekp: Format your card using a cardreader in ExFAT, redo ML installation and run benchmark in cam. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20454.msg189640#post_C213

sisak.marton

Is there any way to record video with higher FPS, than the default values, using FPS override?

OlRivrRat

Issue? Whenever I attempt "MLV_Lite" on My SL1 I get a "Busy...Please Wait" Flag

across the top of the View Screen. Recording can be started & does seem to occur.

I have tried numerous diff' settings but It's always there.

Have tried in Latest Nightly & "crop_rec_4k.17~10~10.100D101"

Also > Unable to take Screen Shots while "MLV_Lite" is active.

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

jacekp

Thanks for advices. It works with SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSD(+adapter) and SD Extreme Pro 32GB (which benchmarks little faster).

The main problem was/is: ISO>100 ( >200 in mlv_lite) is very problematic.

I'm using latest crop_rec_4k now, but have seen similar behaviour in nightly build.

Scenario (similar in other RAW modes, but I tested 12bit most often):
- Set RAW (12bit lossless, other behave similar), set ISO > 200 (400, 800, 1600)
- Press record: if it's one of the first things you do after camera start - IT WORKS.
- Stop.
- Try to record in ISO > 200 again: "RAW DETECT ERROR"
- Try to use ISO 100: Sometimes looks like working. Record again in 100, and again, and angain ISO > 200 (sometimes looks like working)... RESULT: all/most previous movie files become 1MB files, only the last one survives.

WORKAROUND:
1. Set RAW (12bit lossless). Set ISO > 200 (example: 800).
2. Restart camera.
3. Set Aperture and other.
4. Record.
5. Restart camera
6. GOTO 3.

WORKAROUND 2 (not tested well):
1. Do not use ISO > 200. Record many times without restart.

Note: I try to leave most other functions/modules 'disabled'

Using WORKAROUND it looks like I can record stable mlv_lite 12bit lossless (tested with ISO 100-1600) continuous 1736xSSS 24/s. (I use 2.2:1, 2.35:1 aspect ratios). It is getting hot (>55°) so don't know how long exactly. I use it for 20s recordings. I use global draw.

Other:
- Somewhere in this process I also see permanent "Busy...Please Wait"
- ML menu blinks from time to time (shows LiveView for fraction of second)
- mlv_play do not play files (black screen + blinking red diode, but can go back if press some buttons)
- somewhere in menu description (don't remember, somewhere in RAW options?) there is "Enables 600D to..." written, not 100D

OlRivrRat

@Jacekp

"- ML menu blinks from time to time (shows LiveView for fraction of second)"

This from 70D 1st Post "What's not working"

ML menu disappears/flickers after some seconds in Liveview / Movie mode (known bug, appears on 6D & others)
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Audionut

Quote from: saidur on October 13, 2017, 10:32:19 PM
Hey guys, I have the SL2 and saw that there is no mention of it being in progress or supported.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#any_progress_on_xyz

QuoteIf you can't find anything about it in the relevant forum thread, it's safe to assume there was none.

IDA_ML

Yesterday, I spent several hours testing the 8...11 bit lossless compressed video mode on the October 16-th experimental built for the 100D.  Why?  Because in this mode, the 100D provides continuous recording at the 1736x976 resolution at 24 fps and a very reasonable file size.  I recorded 10 minutes at 11-bit and 46% compression and the LL MLV-file was just about 3.3 GB according to the File manager.   But in reality ... (see #4 below).  When the record button is pressed, the frame indicator flashes first red for a few seconds, then turns orange and in a few minutes it turns green.  It stays green until recording is stopped. In my opinion, this is excellent news for the 100D!

Here are my negative observations:

1) The RAW-Tweak module does not work properly.  With that module enabled I was getting crashes all the time. Finally, I disabled it and got stable camera operation in the video recording modes.  Playback in the 10 and 12-bit uncompressed mode does not work though.  I get black screen when I try to playback the recording, however, the frame counter works and this is also useful since it provides information on the number of recorded frames.  With the RAW-Tweak module disabled, playback of clips, recorded in the 8...11 bit lossless compressed video mode, works fine and there are no corrupt frames but ... (see below).

2) Exposure does not work properly in the above mode.  The aperture and exposure indicators respond to the adjustments fine, screen gets darker and brighter accordingly but, what I see on the histogram has nothing to do with the correct exposure values.  When the histogram indicates the correct 0.0 exposure, clips get severely underexposed and the only way you see that is upon an attempt to playback the recording.  The much darker screen, (compared to the nice color screen during exposure and focus adjustments), shows a severely underexposed video (2 to 3 stops or more) and this underexposure is also confirmed upon inspecting the file on the computer.  In the 5x magnification mode, underexposure is even more severe.  No matter what I did, I could not get the exposure right.  I had to switch to Manual photo mode, take the correct exposure, switch back to the video mode, readjust the numbers manually and only then the clip turned out to be normally exposed.  At playback, the screen is always very dark, even if extreme overexposure is attempted.  In this case only a slight magenta cast in the overexposed  highlights indicates overexposure. 

Initially I thought, the problem is in the lens aperture, being not properly controlled.  But then I switched to the normal MLV-rec module and everything at 14/12/10 bit with sound worked fine again.

3) Sometimes, when I try to playback a clip that I have just recorded, especially if it is longer than a few seconds, I get a black screen.  When I half press the shutter button, the LED starts blinking, indicating playback, but the screen stays black and camera does not respond.  The only way out of this situation is pulling the battery out and restarting the camera.  Then playback is possible.  This issue is difficult to reproduce.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

4) File manager does not indicate the correct file size at long recording times.  I noticed that when I copied the files to my hard drive.  The 10 min. recording, mentioned above is not 3.3 but 20.25 GB.

Can anyone else with a 100D please confirm the above behavior?  Thanks.

Danne

Raw_twk not working. Problematic. Mlv_play sometimes delivering black screen. Usually works again after erasing tge card. Not checked into the other stuff.

a1ex

Have some samples and screenshots to prove #2?

For 4: file manager uses a 32-bit routine to get file sizes. Please run the firmware in QEMU and find out where the 64-bit size is stored (or how to access it). SD card emulation is pretty much complete (it ran all the stress tests I could throw at it).

IDA_ML

Quote from: a1ex on October 19, 2017, 08:03:37 PM
Have some samples and screenshots to prove #2?

Yes, A1ex, I will prepare a few samples and screenshots and will send you a download link tomorrow.

IDA_ML

Hello A1ex,

As you requested, I have now prepared a few screenshots and samples illustrating the underexposure issue in the 8...11bit lossless mode.  First, I recorded a properly exposed short 14-bit uncompressed clip using the MLV_rec module to make sure I have a working reference that I can playback in the camera.  Then I just switched to the 8...11bit LL mode and repeated the recording at the same scene and exactly the same settings which also gave me a nearly identical and equally bright Life view screen.  I am sending you the 5-th frame grab of each of both clips, extracted with MLV_dump.  In the 5MB .RAR archive, (use download link below), you will find also screenshots of the Settings windows for both clips, Life view pictures right before I pushed the record button and in-camera playback views for both clips on which the underexposure of the 8...11bit LL clip vs. the 14-bit one is clearly seen.  The file names will give you a hint on what is in the picture.  The following download link will be active for 7 days: 

https://we.tl/Fu5J3CvOP7

Comparing the two frame grabs you will see that they show identical ISO and exposure exif data, but the 8...11 bit LL one is severely underexposed.  This can happen only if a ND filter is used or the light is dimmed with the 8...11bit LL clip.  I did not do that though ! :)

I hope, this information is helpful and a fix will be possible.  Otherwise, this amazing video shooting mode is useless since it is very difficult to adjust correct exposure.

a1ex

The two DNGs look pretty similar after rendering:

ufraw-batch *.dng --out-type=jpeg --exposure=0 --color-smoothing

Similar results with dcraw -W -m 3 and darktable (color smoothing enabled, exposure 0 EV on both).

Note the "underexposed" one (on the right) actually looks brighter, but that's because of the background actually being brighter (because the framing was shifted towards a brighter section of the scene). For a proper comparison, a static scene with identical framing would have been better.

All that's left is underexposed playback in mlv_play - confirmed, fix pushed.

IDA_ML

Well, I tried to open the underexposed clip in MLVProducer (screen is almost completely dark there) and push it, to make it equally bright as the 14-bit one (which is nice and bright in Producer) but it gets terribly noisy compared to the 14-bit one.  To me, this means underexposure.  Maybe, I am missing something but I do not know what.   

Do you want me to try and upload both clips for you, A1ex?  They are about 360 MB.

a1ex

In this case, it's MLVProducer not respecting the DNG spec...

Same images with dcraw +2EV:

dcraw -W -m 3 -b 4 *.dng

Notice the "underexposed" one is not any noisier (compare the areas with identical brightness).

I don't need the MLVs, but if you need them for reporting the bug to MLVProducer author, you can use the half-shutter trigger to record a small MLV with only one or two frames.

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, A1ex, for this clarification.  I will wait for the next version of MLV Producer and if the problem persists, I will inform the author. 

Meanwhile, I will keep testing to see if I can figure out how to get the exposure right.  Unfortunately, the histogram shows some very weird numbers indicating severe underexposure, (like 4.3 on the screenshot that I sent to you, compared to 3.8 and a well behaved histogram on the 14-bit screenshot), but  I will try to work with the zebras that seem to properly mark overexposed areas.  Maybe, the method of increasing exposure until zebras start to show up in the highlights is a better approach. What would you recommend?

a1ex

If the ETTR module is loaded, the indicator on the histogram is affected by its parameters; otherwise, some (hopefully reasonable) default is used. By default, the former attempts to get an overall well-exposed picture (but may sacrifice the highlights in the process - you can reconfigure it as you prefer), while the latter only considers the highlights.

I didn't try to get these files in QEMU to see how the histogram would behave, but from your screenshots, it looks like an indication from Auto ETTR at its default settings (midtone SNR at 6 EV above the black noise level*)). Since ISO was at 3200, ETTR recommended sacrificing the highlights in order to get good midtones (or maybe shadows).

*) note to self: the SNR in midtones will be lower than 6 EV (or whatever you select), because ETTR ignores the Poisson noise component (assumes the only source of noise in the image is read noise, constant and not affected by the signal level). I should fix this - but that would bump the exposure even more at higher ISOs.

IDA_ML

Yes, you are right, I had the ETTR module loaded since I use it a lot but in this particular case, I did not use AETTR.  I should try to disable the ETTR module and see if I can get better consistency between how the histogram looks like on the graph and the indicator number.  My approach is that if the histogram looks well distributed along the X-axis, I try to get 0.0 indication.  If not and if the indicator shows some weird number, I watch for the zebras and increase exposure until they start showing up in the highlights.  In this case I normally get well exposed scenes without blowing up highlights.   In that case, I leave the shadows as they are even if they come out clipped.

NeoMMX

Hi guys!
Can anyone explain me why in Raw Video setting can't choose high resolution setting, for example for 1920 - " 1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1728). Write speed needed: 2,7 MB/s at 0,999 fps."
I can understand if it was  " 1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1728). Write speed needed: 84 MB/s at 29,974 fps."[/u]

Low frame rate would be possible to write on flashcard high resolution data, because there is only 2,7 MB/s!  If maximum interface transfer rate is 38,1 MB/s. Why high resolution modes is locked?

p.s. I thing this would be extremely useful for timelapse, you getting high resolution video without draining shutter group of your camera.