Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Lol btw I told you wrong: the 70D experiences same "facetracking" bug as 100D. No clue why I was reporting it as not happening. the only thing changed was: I mounted a lens now on the 70D. previously hadn't any lens mounted but don't think it has any influences. Probably copied wrong files to my card or whatever previously.

70D crash log attached to previous post before this one.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

a1ex

Alright, fix committed and included in 100D. Will update the post as soon as Jenkins will manage to test it.

edit:
1) QEMU updated to enable FlexiZone at startup (screenshots)

2) old 100D build failing all tests in QEMU

3) null pointer test passing on 60D (log)

4) new 100D build passing all tests in QEMU! (including the null pointer test)

(that's called TDD, right?)

nikfreak

Coudn't resist and already compiled myself. Works like a charm now. No crashes switching AF methods (facetracking, flexizone, quick mode) as well as AF modes (AI servo / AI focus, one shot). Task monitor also works as it should. Great job  8)

Would be nice to have this included in the crop_rec branch as well as the 70D nightlies from jenkins to reduce complaints in forum posts and avoid confusions.

Danne

Quotecrop_rec branch as well as the 70D nightlies from jenkins to reduce complaints
Word.
And great work.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on October 01, 2017, 06:15:12 PM
Here is a version with also lossless FRSP dng working with silent.mo:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct01.100D101_FRSP.zip

Thanks, Danne!

I tried to test this lossless FRSP function but got some strange behavior in the lossless DNG LV silent mode, regardless of whether the 3x3 720p crop mode is turned on or off .  When I take a single photo, I get a small resolution DNG (1682x582 or something like that) that is also skewed, very similar to 60 fps video that needs to be stretched in post.  The lossless DNG is about 1,1 MB.  Isn't it supposed to be a real full resolution (18 MP) silent picture with a size of about 14 MB due to lossless 14-bit compression?  Also, the exposure (aperture and exposure time) in that mode seems to be quite difficult to adjust.  No matter what exposure settings in the M mode I set, I always get something like F2; 1/60s; ISO 320 which is written in the white line in the upper right part of the screen, although I have ETTR turned off.  If I want to close the aperture, use a longer exposure time and ISO 100, I dial in these settings but it won't accept them when the picture is taken.  I tested with the EOS 35/F2 IS lens.  Quite obviously, I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is.  I should appreciate if you suggest some working settings and share with us what you get.

I was expecting to be able to shoot single lossless DNGs at the full sensor resolution, as the name FRSP says and use the entire aperture and exposure time range including very short exposure times - 1/500 s or or even faster to stop action.  This is possible with the 5D3 in some of the 3/4K crop recording modes.  Is it doable with the 100D?

On the other hand, I also tested the good old FRSP function that allows me to take single 14-bit uncompressed DNGs at the full sensor size in the Live View mode.  It works like a charm in your build, also with the intervalometer that I use for timelapses.  Exposure times are in the 16s to about 1/20s but when used with a stabilized lens, one can shoot perfect single handheld shots in the DNG format (file size is 31.1 MB/DNG) - ideal for landscapes and low-light locations requiring absolute silence (churches, museums, events, etc.).  Unrfortunately, I cannot use it for shorter exposure times to stop action and at bright light, the ND filter is a must.

nikfreak

IDA_ML be sure to set the right "sub"-options in silent.mo for Full-res Lossless DNG

OlRivrRat

Just changed AF FlexZone() to AF FlexZone[], Continuous AF to Disabled, AF Operation to OneShot &

Metering to Spot & now the 02Oct Build that I tried last night Boots Cam Just Fine.

Is there a Newer 02Oct with all fixed or is that 1 from last night the Good 1 ?

Thanks Bunches to all You Wizards ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

nikfreak

this one here is always latest:

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/100D-101.html

Atm it's displaying:

Latest Build (2017-10-02 13:20)

so you can check when it was built by the server. And yes it has all the fixes included.

Danne

Cool, deleted mine.
@IDA_ML
Two choices with FRSP. One of them will produce lossless fullres dng;s

IDA_ML

Thank you all for these incredible joint efforts.  You really are wizards!  I can't wait for the Experimental build to get fixed too.  For now, I will stay with Danne's build until I figure out how to get lossless FRSP.  I remember the warning, so I will not touch the AF settings!

Here is a short film that I shot with the 100D in 10-bit RAW at 1728x972 resolution during our family vacation at the southern Black Sea coast this year:

https://vimeo.com/229138851

Let me know what you think.

DeafEyeJedi

Incredible progress overnight guys (in my time which is PST) and I am actually glad that this tiny beast is getting mad love from all of you!

Just tested the 2017-10-02 experimental build and all seems fine so far. Will play around some more later.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

nikfreak

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 02, 2017, 06:41:56 PM
https://vimeo.com/229138851

Let me know what you think.

Looks tack sharp. Bravo.
Was this you contacting me from Bulgaria a while ago reporting audio issues?

Danne

Very sharp footage indeed.

@IDA_ML
I compiled lossless FRSP dng code into latest crop_rec_4k. I suggest you swap what you have now with this instead to avoid boot issues etc:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct02.100D101_losslessFRSP.zip

source:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_100D_lossless_FRSPver2

IDA_ML

Quote from: nikfreak on October 02, 2017, 07:13:10 PM
Was this you contacting me from Bulgaria a while ago reporting audio issues?

Yes, that was me.  I am so happy, the audio issues finally got resolved.  Thank you so much!

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 02, 2017, 06:43:30 PM
I am actually glad that this tiny beast is getting mad love from all of you!

Once you shoot RAW video on the 100D, you never come back!  ;)

With the latest ML developments, I expect rocketing prices of used 100D's very soon !!!

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on October 02, 2017, 07:24:23 PM
I compiled lossless FRSP dng code into latest crop_rec_4k. I suggest you swap what you have now with this instead to avoid boot issues etc:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct02.100D101_losslessFRSP.zip

Oh, thank you so much, Danne!  Can't wait to test.  This is going to be another sleepless night for me, I guess! 

DeafEyeJedi

Holy moly... After deciding to take @Danne's latest build from his bitbucket download page (2017Oct02.100D101_losslessFRSP) after learning that it wouldn't let me use FRSP DNG Lossless without that 'full card?' error bug w the latest build from the experimental page and to finally be able to take FRSP Lossless DNG's while using ML's intervalometer is just pure magic! 

I am not kidding you guys that this is one of the most amazing features available on the 100D. Can't wait for this fix to make it over to other cameras running ML.

Why is this a big deal? Because before this we were only limited to normal FRSP saving in MLV format (faster than DNG's) especially for timelapse work where it would be limited to no shorter than 5 seconds for the interval times in between photos (even longer so when using normal DNG format).

Back then with the experimental build it wouldn't even work while using ML's Intervalometer while in Lossless DNG. It would act like it takes the first photo attempt which then prompts the 'card full error' bug before putting the LiveView into black screen until you half press shutter to get it back on again.

Now with @Danne's @dfort's fix -- here's what I was able to pull off by selecting Full-res under Silent Pic while the file format would be Lossless DNG.

Then scroll up to Intervalometer to set the settings of your preferences (remember before this we were limited to only 5s) and now it is possible to take intervals every 2 seconds. Not only this is faster but you also save up space by using Lossless DNG's instead. This is truly remarkable!

dfort

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 02, 2017, 08:14:20 PM
Now with Danne's fix --

Actually, this is the fix Danne used. Make sure you comment on the pull request and approve it if it works for you.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/858/fix-lossless-compression-on-frsp-for-eosm/diff

DeafEyeJedi

My wrong. Didn't realized it was actually your fix that Danne used (edited my post above). Thanks for the reminder on approving the PR @dfort!

IDA_ML

I performed several tests with the lossless FRSP and have good and bad news.

Good news:
-------------

1) Files are 17 to 22 MB of size which is a substantial size reduction compared to uncompressed files (31.1 MHz/DNG)

2) Intervalometer works great with lossless FRSPs

3) Lossless DNGs open directly in Adobe Camera RAW just by dragging and dropping onto the Photoshop icon from Explorer.  What a pleasant surprise!

4) Image quality is stunning!

5) Preview after shot is taken - very convenient for checking exposure and composition.

Bad news:
------------

6) No matter what I did, I was unable to shoot at shutter speeds higher than 1/4 s.  This makes usage limited to low light situations or necessitates the usage of high-quality ND filters (expensive and may degrade quality, especially at longer focal lengths).  Tripod is a must!   The old FRSP method - the one with the gradient, would allow shutter speeds up to about 1/25 s. and worked well handheld, especially with stabilized lenses.

7) No preview in Explorer - thumb nails are black squares.

8) Forgot to mention one more bad news about lossless FRSP dngs.  This mode sucks the battery juice like hell !!!  I didn't make detailed measurements but when I play around with video the battery lasts much longer.

==========================================

Questions to the developers:
------------------------------
I.  Is it possible to achieve short exposure times (high shutter speeds) with the silent mode to make stopping action and handheld shots possible?

II. Is it possible to pack intervalometer shot lossless DNG sequences in MLVL containers to alow easy MLV_dump conversion and avoid manual sorting of thousands of separate DNG files by their numbers?  This would be very usefull for timelapse work.

a1ex

1 - Answered here.

2 - Ha, I was thinking to remove the MLV support from the silent module to simplify the code, and leave this format just for video. The silent picture module is not optimized for speed anyway - the MLV modules are much faster.

If anyone ports #1 to 100D, the full-res LiveView mode from crop_rec works with both mlv_lite and silent + intervalometer. Besides, mlv_lite has half-shutter triggers (you can use, for example, an external trigger to save each frame); that one can be easily integrated with ML intervalometer or motion trigger.

The "classic" FRSP operates outside LiveView (in the so-called "Paused LiveView" mode), so it won't work on mlv_lite without major changes. The one from crop_rec operates in LiveView (with modified resolution), so it works with MLV out of the box.

Bonus: you also get lossless compression at reduced bit depths with mlv_lite.

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot for this explanation, a1ex. 

I forgot to mention that even now, when recording lossless FRSPs with intervalometer, and interval between frames is set to 1s, recording goes pretty fast at the fastest adjustable shutter speed of 1/4s.  Actual time between shots is slightly longer than 1s, somewhere between 1 and 2 s but less than 2 s.  I can measure the time for recording a large sequence of say 100 LL FRSPs and calculate the average recording time per DNG.  Do I understand properly that if the lossless FRSP sequence is packed in a MLV container, as this was the case with the classical FRSP, we may expect "much" faster recording times?  If yes, how much faster?  I am asking because in that case we may get smoother timelapses.  Also, what about faster shutter speeds in that case?

Yesterday I posted a frame grab with 2520x1080 resolution that was shot in RAW_rec mode at 5x magnification and 24 fps.  Quality and detail are superb in that mode.  I tried reducing the frame rate to 0.5 fps to shoot a timelapse at night but as long as you go below 1 fps, every 2-nd frame in the video is white.  Also adjusting focus, exposure and framing in that mode becomes painfully slow.  I was wondering if it might be possible to use this mode for shooting single DNG frames at fast shutter speeds on the 100D.  I know, resolution is quite low but for some tasks it might be enough.

a1ex

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300 ->

5796x3870 at 7.4 fps (128ms rolling shutter) - continuous*) at 5 FPS!

100D is about twice as slow, so I'd say 2 FPS should be a reasonable expectation.

Shutter speed in this mode, on 5D3, is from 1/15000 to 1/FPS.

jtice

Anyone have any suggestions for my install issues I posted HERE ?
Thanks

IDA_ML

Wow, that would be a break through in functionality and especially in timelapse shooting for those who cannot aford a 5D3.  Imagine the smoothness and RAW image quality of a full resolution timelapse shot with a 100D.  Absolutely amazing!

It will be something like this and even better:

https://vimeo.com/228229054

Thank you for this sweet dream, A1ex !

Danne

Is it possible to use adtg_gui with the 100D? Tried the one from here and also to compile it but no luck.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg190431#msg190431
Says err module init failed in camera(or similar)

I noticed that crop_rec has a correct(skewy liveview) which fills the whole liveview window while in 1080p in photo mode(some register is set to 720p in photo mode while in crop_rec but not for movie mode?) Once switching over to movie mode liveview is partly white(bottom) since we get the "normal" looking crop_rec portion in liveview. Asked before how to get that skewy look when in 1080p mode without the white bottom and then tried adding this but didnĀ“t work, or I did it wrong.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16040.msg190661#msg190661

Also trying to get my head around the crop_rec fullres liveview port but I am too green to understand some register handling. Checking registers for 5D mark III:
            case CROP_PRESET_FULLRES_LV:
                cmos_new[1] = 0x800;    /* from photo mode */
                cmos_new[2] = 0x00E;    /* 8 in photo mode; E enables shutter speed control from ADTG 805E */
                cmos_new[6] = 0x170;    /* pink highlights without this */
                break;

I guess those three are needed for the 100D. Find them via adtg_gui? What else would be needed? Are you perhaps working on this already Nikfreak?