Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GianlucaM83

Thank you. My problems was with aoutofocus on, but I disable extra hacks and now all works properly  :)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: nikfreak on July 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM
Hey, Gianluca I will just commit a fix for moving the spot box in manual focus. Without your report I wouldn't have noticed that we need it.

Great catch @Gianluca!

Quote from: nikfreak on July 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM
@a1ex: we really should disallow/hide "Small hacks" for the cameras with a touchscreen (CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN).

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Cako_f

Hey! first thanks for this excellent firmware and all the hard work. It really brings a new life to the SL1.
A couple of question.
When i ramp up the bit rate for the video, it's says that probably will have problems with the sound and the recording may stop, i have tested it at 1.5x and no problem at all with sound. So, there's a way to disable sound to ramp up the bit rate even higher?.

And to have the bit depth option, it's necessary to use the experimental build, right?, any major differences with the one here and the experimental?

Thanks again for all this, it's awesome what can be achieved.

meanbiz

Hello,
Thank you for the great firmware. I've used magic lantern with no problem for last one year. Recently, I have upgraded my SDcard to Samsung microSDXC UHS-I, wich is class10/U3 memory card for 4K video. However, it seems magic lantern doesn't work with the card.
As I have copied magic lantern files just as is instructed on my SD cards, it works great with my other Class10/U1 SD cards, but with my new Class10/U3 SD card, the magic lantern doesn't install by itself and my SL1 camera runs without ML.
I was wondering if there is any way to use ML with the SD card.
Using ML on my SL1 is such a blessing. I would like to thank you again for your help.

Best regards,
Meanbiz.

Felipe

650D-700D

meanbiz

Walter Schulz

Problems making SDXC cards bootable are quite common with Digic 4. 100D has Digic 5. Anyway: Use EOScard (Windows) or MacBoot (OS X/macOS) to make card bootable. If using EOScard I recommend wiping card clean after but do *not* format card!
Copy extracted nightly build content to card, insert card into cam and startup cam.

I suppose card formatting in cam will make card non-bootable again. You have to test it.

a1ex

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 22, 2017, 09:33:39 AM
Problems making SDXC cards bootable are quite common with Digic 4.

Any such problem after mid-2015, when the new installers were available for all models? The issue on DIGIC 4 was that FIR files had to have strict 8.3 filenames on EXFAT cards (exactly 8 characters in their name, no more, no less), but there was no such restriction on FAT32/FAT16.

Running ML installer (firmware upgrade) should make the card bootable; if it doesn't, it's something I'd like to look into.

Walter Schulz

My wrong, a1ex! I checked most recent incidents and in fact latest issues related to SDXC are all about 600D (getting ML-SETUP.FIR in late April 2016). No issues since.

meanbiz

After couple of hours of struggling, my new SDXC card works well with ML.
Plus, ML works perfectly even after the card is formatted.
Thank you for your support.

IDA_ML

I am new to this forum but have been following closely the development of Magic Lantern for the last couple of years. First of all, I would like to extend my most sincere gratitude to all developers who managed to turn this little beast 100D into a powerful RAW video camera.

I tested the latest experimental build from August 21-st and can confirm that 10-bit RAW provides stable recording of 15-16 seconds duration at the resolution of 1728x972 both in the normal and crop modes.  This resolution easily scales up to FHD without visible quality degradation.  Video quality in terms of detail, colors, tone transition smoothness and dynamic range is fantastic and this makes the 100D a very capable camera. 

OlRivrRat

@ Ida_ML

Could You Please list Your settings that You use to get 10-12bit Raw to work on Your 100D ~

Best I can get is 2-3Sec's before it quits ~ Card Type & Speed & Size as well ~ Thank You ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

GianlucaM83

I can confirm. with the latest experimental build from August 21. The 100D can shot 10 bit raw at 1728x736 (2.35:1) or 1568x882 (16:9)in continuos mode.
I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro as SD card, it is faster than the 100d can write but I found it on offer and then I bought it. Sandisk extreme is very good as well.
This helped me to choose a good kind of SD to buy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
In fact, according to wikipedia we should get a SD card with these characteristics: Bus interface:UHS-I, Speed Class: Class 10, UHS Speed class: Class 3 (U3), Video speed class: V30 or V60.

These guys are doing a really good job :), now the 100d seems less small :D

IDA_ML

OlRivrRat,

You need a fast SD card to get these record times.  Please use the Benchmark function of ML to test the write speed on your card.  Mine is a Sandisk Extreme /90 MB/s and the benchmark test shows 41,6 MB/s write speed.  My settings are:

1) Canon Mode: Movie, Manual
2) ML - Movie -> RAW Video (MLV): ON
3) Resolution: 1728x972; Aspect ratio: 16:9
4) Bit depth: 10 bpp
5) Global Draw: OFF
6) Extra Hacks: ON
7) FPS override: 23,991

The above settings are the same also for Movie crop mode set to the same 1728x972 resolution.

I am still testing MLV and RAW video recording (also 5x mode) for bugs and will report on that later.  I am very happy though that record times are fairly consistent and I now I can see what I am recording, i.e. screen no longer freezes when I start recording. Of course, I miss MLV sound which does not work at all in the latest build, but I hope, it will be fixed in the future since it used to work (kind of) with previous builds.

Happy testing!

IDA_ML

I have now performed tests on the MLV/RAW recording feature of the latest August 21 experimental build for the 100D.  Here is what I found:

1) Silent module is missing, there is no FRSP recording.  Was it removed intentionally?  A work around this would be to keep two cards - a fast one with the August 21 build for MLV/RAW video and a second one, (does not need to be very fast), with the January 06 build for FRSP recording.  I found that both cards can be swapped without problems and ML continues to work on the 100D with whatever card, (with its own build and settings on it), is inserted.   This is a very cool feature since swapping cards takes just a few seconds but camera has to be turned OFF for card swaping.  Question:  Is this dangerous? 

2) Video playback is not very stable.  Sometimes it works just fine, upon pressing the playback button, sometimes it shows a frozen view of a frame, sometimes a corrupt frozen view and sometimes it shows a black screen.  Usually, turning the camera off and on again fixes the issue for a few playbacks and then I get the same frozen views again.  Also the blue horizontal menue line at the bottom of the screen during playback is missing, so deleting and exiting a clip during playback is no longer possible.  Scrolling between subsequent clips back and forth using the scroll wheel does not work either.  It worked on previous builds at 14 bits and was a very usefull feature for quick review of the last few clips on the screen.

3) Videos shot at higher resolutions , e.g. 2520x1080 in the 5x magnification mode show "hick-ups" during playback on the computer.  At certain locations, video jumps back by a few frames and then continues again from there. 

4) MLV sound does not work at all.  When activated, upon pressing the record button the message: "Treads failed to start" appears on the screen.  Turning camera off and on again and deactivating MLV sound allows further recording. 

NOTE:  MLV sound used to work in the January 6-th build that I used before.  But, unfortunately, only with the first recording after camera is turned on.  There was also a perfect synchronization between sound and video in that first recording.  At the end of the second recording, a red line saying: "Audio failed to stop.  State 4" appears.  The third recording results in a "Treads failed to start" message and then camera freezes and needs a battery removal.   A work around this situation was to turn camera off and on again with the mechanical switch after each MLV clip recorded with MLV Sound ON.  In this way, a lot of time was lost between clips and  important moments were missed. 

If sound could be fixed with 10-bit MLV recordings this would result in 15-16 s. of RAW video recording with synchronous sound at the highest 1728x972 resolution in the normal and even the crop video mode in that  resolution.  This is all one could wish for in most shooting situations.  What a camera, hey?

GianlucaM83

@ IDA_ML

Yes you are right.
I just tried to recording a video with sound. I never tried it before. 
Unfortunately MLV sound gives me the same problem.
At the end, in your opinion Would it be better to go back to the 6 january build? Do you think it is more stable than current experimental build?

IDA_ML

Gianluca,

Yes, I would stay with the Jan.6 build for now, mainly due to the lack of hick-ups at higher resolutions, which I often shoot at.  Also FRSP works flawlessly  with that build.  I wouldn't trust the sound on that build though.  Turning camera off and on again after each clip and waiting for it to initialize makes the sound function useless or of very limited use.  If the sound issue could be fixed with 10-bit recording it would be fantastic.

sgtbunny

I'm new to owning a SL1 and new to ML.  I'm excited to have found the work you are doing on this.

pittguy578

Quote from: IDA_ML on August 25, 2017, 10:56:43 AM
OlRivrRat,

You need a fast SD card to get these record times.  Please use the Benchmark function of ML to test the write speed on your card.  Mine is a Sandisk Extreme /90 MB/s and the benchmark test shows 41,6 MB/s write speed.  My settings are:

The above settings are the same also for Movie crop mode set to the same 1728x972 resolution.

I am still testing MLV and RAW video recording (also 5x mode) for bugs and will report on that later.  I am very happy though that record times are fairly consistent and I now I can see what I am recording, i.e. screen no longer freezes when I start recording. Of course, I miss MLV sound which does not work at all in the latest build, but I hope, it will be fixed in the future since it used to work (kind of) with previous builds.

Happy testing!

Ok I will try this new build out. I have a fast SD card and was getting the stoppage error with any resolution beyond 1368

a1ex

Quote from: IDA_ML on August 26, 2017, 12:46:37 PM
1) Silent module is missing, there is no FRSP recording.  Was it removed intentionally?

No, it was broken on all models, by a PR that was waiting for testing feedback since April. I've merged it untested recently, but looks like it wasn't the best decision...

Would be nice to have a tool, integrated in the build process, that prints what ML features might be affected by a changeset (or group of changesets), to avoid this kind of mistakes in future. Suggestions?

Or, any kind of help creating a test suite in QEMU would be more than welcome.

IDA_ML

@a1ex

First of all, please accept my gratitude and appreciation for your talent, time and enormous efforts that made the miracle Magic Lantern happen!

Under "silent module is missing", I mean the very old silent module, the one with the gradient, that captured full-sensor sized uncompressed 14-bit DNG images in an MLV file.  It worked very well with the intervalometer and Dual ISO and I have been using it successfully for more than two years with the 100D.   I was very surprised to see that it is missing from the August 21-st build.  I was wondering if we can have it back, a1ex.

Gam3rk1d98

Careful guys using sl1 ml done some glitching and shutting down using version 1.0.1 on nightly build had to uninstall. Hope this helps.

IDA_ML

@a1ex

I would love to help with your request but I have absolutely no coding skills, whatsoever.  All I can do is test some of the functions of a new build with my 100D and report bugs that I have noticed, just as I did here.

bastien42

Quote from: IDA_ML on August 25, 2017, 10:56:43 AM
OlRivrRat,

Happy testing!

you need to know that the 100D has a max internal speed of 40MB/S so it's perfectly normal that your benchmark is stuck at such a speed so don't worry your camera just brick the speed of your SD
100D ,EF-S 18-55mm f/3,5-5,6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, Yongnuo YN-568EX II ,Manfrotto Compact + 3D head

IDA_ML

I have a question for Nikfreak:

Is it technically possible to fix the MLV-sound issue on the 100D that requires turning camera off and on again with the mechanical switch after each clip in the January 06-th build?  If nothing else works, would it be possible to build in a routine, automatically activated after each clip, that simulates the camera condition after the switch is turned on?  In this way the camera will always think that it has just been initialized to that condition and ready for the next single recording with sound.

Thank you.