Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickens3d

Yes @nikfreak, my fault, now everything is working fine. I successfully can shoot now at 1376 x 688 more than 20 secs...
But there is a little problem with the quality of the image. Small green/blue dots appear on some areas. I'm not sure is that the same problem like I already read in EOS M forum.
You can take a look here, over the front light and car fender, tire:

It's 100% crop
EOS 100D.100C

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

nikfreak

Updated first post with a new release. Read changelog.

Felipe

650D-700D

nikfreak

nextlabelindonesia

@nikfreak : WORKING ALL FEATURE...AWESOME! Great Job!  :)
Canon Kiss X7 kit User - Canon Kiss x5 kit User - Canon Lens 50mm1.4 - Canon Lens 50mm1.8 STM - Canon Lens EF 17-40 f4L - Stabilizer (DIY) / Glidecam (DIY) / Steadycam (DIY) / Slide (DIY)

bbop

I'm a version C owner so thanks so much for the new build, it works great except for my focus menu.  Under that menu, I only have one option and that is "DOF Settings."  Is that normal to this build or am I doing something wrong?  I was expecting to see trap focus, focus stack, etc.

fbaux

I'll test Alpha_3a asap right now i'm on Alpha_1a :)
Thanks again
EOS 100D.101 (2018-02-27) + Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/4-5.6 IS + Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS II + Eye-fi card

nikfreak

Just updated the first post with Beta_1. Read the changelog!
Provide full test report for the newly added focus features.
No 1-liners please. High chance of getting removed again if you don't take the time.
My "one and only lens is tied" to 70D so YOU test the focus features in detail and report your findings.

Have fun.

Felipe

Under my workflow would only use follow focus with arrows which is FANTASTIC, besides you can save focus points while recording and graduate speed etc.
The problem with ML is that once you get used to it, you dont want to use a camera without it
Nik you are Great very Great
650D-700D

nikfreak

Ok and that does mean? Do all of the added focus features work? I would like to get a more detailed answer please - reminding to read and understand the latest changelog.

JohanJ

Trap Focus:
Hold AF Button: AF points flashing when object comes into focus but no picture taken. Same for Trap Focus / Countinous. No picture taken. -- NOT OK

Follow Focus:
Arrow Keys work just fine (nice combination w/ focus peaking). LCD sensor seems to work too (a bit hard to control the outcome) OK

DOF Settings:
Works perfectly in LiveView (simple/diffraction aware). Compared the results with HyperFocal Pro App. Just fine! OK

Since I am more into still pictures I hope that one of you movie guys can take over for rack focus  ;D
60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

nikfreak

sounds good. Trap focus isn't available on 650D / 700D. I don't expect it to work on 100D, too. Anyone else regarding rack focus?

JohanJ

Focus Stacking:
I toke different series of macro pics on a tripod and the result is just - NOT OK
The good news is that ML initiates the AF motor to take the right number of steps before and after the defined focus area. Also the number of pictures to be stacked is correct.
The bad news is that Canon's own AF function takes over just before making the next picture. Means although the AF motor toke the correct number of steps it just jumps back to the original position (by refocusing) and you get a series of identical pictures.
To be really sure I chose a pretty wide stepping distance between 2 pictures and I could follow the AF to refocus by watching the distance scale on my lens jumping back and forth.
I tried all the different AF modes in LiveView, making sure that Continues AF is disabled, finally choosing QuickFocus with just Center AF point for initial focusing. But the outcome was the same for all tests.
A quick comparison with the latest ML on my 60D and there it works like a charm.

Remaining focus functions:
Is there any possibility to activate Focus Patterns w/ shortcut keys on the 100D. I find it extremely useful on my 60D. Also Trap Focus would be really helpful having it in this tiny cam body. But I understood that the later can be mission impossible?

Tx a lot for all your efforts!!

Felipe

@nik. The follow focus and depth of field feature works well.
HOWEVER adjusting the follow focus noticed that the Start Delay DOES NOT work there is not delay
My 650D does take the order in seconds.
650D-700D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: JohanJ on April 28, 2016, 11:57:33 PM
Also Trap Focus would be really helpful having it in this tiny cam body. But I understood that the later can be mission impossible?

650D has the same problem. There is a workaround (sort of): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16566.msg161406#msg161406

nikfreak

Good news: focus patterns will be available in next release as I've tested them and they seem to work.

Quote from: Felipe on April 29, 2016, 06:41:18 AM
Start Delay DOES NOT work there is not delay

Still struggling on this. a1ex, any idea what to look for? Others with A & C revision: can you confirm?

a1ex

There is an option named "Start Delay", but it's for rack focus and for focus stacking, not for follow focus. The help text could be improved a little.

Felipe

Yes I'm sorry, Some how changing that Start delay on my 85 1.8 was causing a delay on the starting time when follow focus.
But testing with other 5 Canon lenses no there is not delay even if I set to x seconds.
Probably a weird behavior  with that lens.
650D-700D

nikfreak

Updated first post with a new release. Read changelog for the details.

I don't expect to do more day-wise updates as my personal opinion is that we reached "Beta" / "daily driver" status for all 100D firmware revisions. I will ofc sync with latest changes from "unified" branch from time to time until we achieve official "nightly" status. You can keep your eyes on source @bitbucket to see what may be included in future updates.

Walter Schulz

@nikfreak. Focus stacking error looks like what happended in 650D alpha. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6320.msg48839#msg48839
See nanomad's reply #14: Fixed but I don't know how.
HTH.

nikfreak

Thanx but hard to find. Searching through the diff histories I cannot find a commit fixing it. Will keep my eyes open.

JohanJ

Focus Patterns
just tested  including shortcut keys - works perfectly! THANKS! --> OK

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nikfreak on April 29, 2016, 09:36:23 PM
Thanx but hard to find. Searching through the diff histories I cannot find a commit fixing it. Will keep my eyes open.

That one was fixed in 650D alpha. I don't believe you will find anything about that one in nightly build change log. Maybe contact nanomad?

fbaux

feed back : log error
ASSERT: 0
at Graphics.c:3929, task CtrlSrv
lv:0 mode:0

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2016Apr28.100D100B
Mercurial changeset   : 3012adde12f5 (100D-new) tip
Built on 2016-04-28 08:41:05 UTC by ml@ml-VirtualBox.
Free Memory  : 577K + 1626K

i test now the last release.
thanks again

if you're ok i can try to translate it in french, provide me the full text in english.
EOS 100D.101 (2018-02-27) + Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/4-5.6 IS + Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS II + Eye-fi card