ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palpatine

It's my first post so... hello guys! :)

Have anyone tried to install ML on EOS-M2?

I'm looking for a low weight camera because I want to use it with a hexacopter. EOS-M2 is surprisingly cheap on ebay and I think it has a proper quality for tasks that I'm going to do. It would be also nice to run ML on it. I know it was released only for Asian market so it's not popular, but maybe someone can assure me that it's possible to run ML without problems.

I'll be thankful for all opinions and advices :)

Walter Schulz

Each ML port is pretty much hardcoded for a cam and a specific firmware version. Porting ML takes a skilled programmer fluently speaking ARM processor (="maintainer") and several hundred hours of work. And at time of writing there is a lack of maintainers resulting in orphaned/blindly maintained ports.
A spare developer would come handy ...

neoplanta

I was asking the same on the other topic. It would be nice if someone is considering to do this to tell us :) I did not even look when I was buying eos m 2 about this, I asumed that it was the same ML for both 1 and 2.

dfort

I just checked up on prices and yes the M2 is priced very low but the M1 is even lower and there is a Magic Lantern port for it. According to a former M2 owner, now an M3 owner:

Quote from: thetechhimself on September 05, 2015, 10:41:16 PM
Dumb question, what's necessary to customize the video bitrate on the firmware? Not a programmer, but I can script.

The EOS M2 had 50mb which produced beautiful 1080P video and no audio compression which resulted in great fidelity; vs the low bit H264 and AAC that Canon throws on the EOS M3 to neuter it so it doesn't compete with pro offerings since the autofocus and software IS is good on the M3/new APS-C's. I almost want to buy another M2 (sold it once I bought the M3) since it did such a good job with video.

So if you have an M2 you might consider holding on to it even without a ML port.

The Canon EOS M3 discussion is hinting on some serious interest in porting ML but there is no indication whether or not it has gotten off the ground yet. Though it does look like the CHDK project has something working with the M3. Sorry, nothing that I could find for the M2.

godashram

doesn't help that not a single update has been released for the M2...

My M2 would like some love as well...but coding is not my specialty :( much less figuring out if it'll run ML like the Eos M or CHDK like the M3
Canon T5I, EOS M2

a1ex

On ExifTool website there is a hint that EOS M2 is still based on DSLR firmware (unlike M3, which is based on PowerShot firmware).

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Canon.html

So, if anyone is tempted to port ML on it, I can prepare a dumper.

neoplanta

It would be great if somone would do this. I know this is a dumb question, but I am pretty much idiot when it comes to coding, is it posible to install eos m 1 firmware to eos m 2, or just make focus peaking option somehow on eos m 2?

godashram

A1ex, you prep a dumper, i'll dump mine as soon as it's up (well, after driving home to grab the M2)

granted, the most I could do after that is try out builds, my code-fu is non-existent :(
Canon T5I, EOS M2

a1ex

Alright, here you go:

- the portable display test: hello-M2.fir

- the ROM dumper: dumperM2.fir

Quote from: a1ex on October 04, 2014, 08:30:21 AM
It dumps 32 MB from 0xF7000000, which covers both ROM0 and ROM1 - that's what you need to run ML in QEMU. For analyzing the code, you can load ROM1 (the second half of that file) at 0xFF000000.

Usage: run firmware update, then go to play mode (make sure you have an image there), then look on your card. Keep the dump for yourself, do not publish it online.

edit: dumper confirmed working by @godashram :)

Licaon_Kter

vyskocil

Great, new gears ! Is it possible to have the same for the 7D mkII to start looking at a port ? Perhaps the dumper is not needed as we already have a fir upgrade available but then could you point out the steps to lookup the keys and decrypt the firmware ?
Thanks in advance!

godashram

wouldn't it make more sense to start a new thread for the 7D MKII instead of posting the question here??
Canon T5I, EOS M2

glassescreditsroll

does this mean we could start  porting ml to eos m2?

godashram

I hope it does.... I've heard nothing since giving A1ex the M2 dump. Guess the biggest issue would be finding someone to actively work on an M2 build?
Canon T5I, EOS M2

a1ex

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on October 19, 2015, 09:15:54 AM
does this mean we could start porting ml to eos m2?

Correct. The M2 looks very similar to the original M, so I don't expect any real difficulties here.

Quote from: godashram on October 20, 2015, 12:57:29 AM
Guess the biggest issue would be finding someone to actively work on an M2 build?

Correct.

glassescreditsroll

So what needs to be done now? I have an eos m2 and would love to be able to use ML on it I'll do anything I can to help

Audionut

Quote from: godashram on October 20, 2015, 12:57:29 AM
Guess the biggest issue would be finding someone to actively work on an M2 build?

Quote from: a1ex on November 01, 2015, 07:08:36 PM
Correct.

Current developers are happy to help.  But there needs to be someone else to take on the bulk of the development work.

godashram

Quote from: Audionut on November 06, 2015, 06:08:50 AM
Current developers are happy to help.  But there needs to be someone else to take on the bulk of the development work.

and that is where the issue is.... I don't have the patience for development, and well, not many M2's seem to be in the hands of people that would care (my opinion).

to be honest, I'd be happy with just the continuous recording feature :)
Canon T5I, EOS M2

neoplanta

And I would be happy only with focus peaking option  :D It is too bad that m2 is not wide spread as other cameras, and it is waste that there are people who are willing to help, but unfortunetly there are not many people who know coding to take the bulk of the development work.

godashram

well, it's lack of availability outside of Japan and China and the eos m fire sales didn't help the m2 in any way at all.
Canon T5I, EOS M2

GenMeiHikaru

Just bought a EOS M2 kit (+ a EF-M 22mm and a 18-55mm) with a kinda low price in Japan, just about $285. Seems like the only thing missing is ML firmware, coding is also a no-go for me but I'll be glad to be of any help. Thanks...!

neoplanta

Wow, thats prety cheap. I bought mine for about 280 dolars, without lens.

godashram

WOW, for $285 with 2 lenses is NUTS! it's a great camera... but hunting down someone to work on it isn't easy :(
Canon T5I, EOS M2

GenMeiHikaru

Surprisingly it's not just the lens, the EF-EOS M -> EF-S adapter and a 90EX flash are also included in the package.
If u guys still want the link, it's here
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00H2ABRKS/ref=gbps_img_s-3_0229_0fa1bf1e?smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_p=264150229&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=1F660AF0S908GYXQ8A9F
It's Amazon for Japan so i'm not sure if it's available for shipment outside of Japan though... I bought it with a Lightning Deal (¥34800~$285), but without the deal it's ¥40498(~$330), still very affordable (I think)...
Edit: on sale again...

godashram

fulfilled by amazon.... so maybe...
Canon T5I, EOS M2