Getting perfect RAW exposure (5D3)

Started by beauchampy, September 21, 2015, 08:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

I used to go by the full histogram, I would quite often underexpose, but more recently I've been setting my Zebras to 'Raw Zebras' and exposing so that I hit just under these (I still let specular highlights blow out).

This method looks over exposed on the monitor, but I can get a lovely clean image by reducing exposure in Resolve by around -1.5. Highlights are still preserved and noise in the shadows is reduced.

I'm open to ideas though - how do you expose for RAW?

garry23

@beauchampy

I'm 'only' a stills photographer, but have settled on using ETTR for most of my exposure setting, augmented by dual-ISO if the DR of the scene warrants it.

Following Clarke-Vision's advice, I'm careful about ETTRing and usually only do so at low ISOs.

For very high DRs I use the ML Ev Raw spotmeter to set the base zone/image on the dark area where I wish to see details, ie placing this at or around 0Ev, and then use auto bracketing to ensure the highlights are captured.

I have written about my ML experiences here: photography.grayheron.net

beauchampy

@garry23 - i should have specified I mean for RAW video. Unless you mean you use these methods for that too?

garry23

Sorry: I don't 'muck about' with video ;-)

Levas

I always use full raw histogram. I try to safe most of the highlights.
In post I often need to add about 1 stop and pull the highlights down( after adding one stop )
Since I often end up in adding one stop in post I have know activated the small waveparade, this gives better view where and which highlights are saved/blown out.