No MLV contents after partition recovery

Started by ben, September 21, 2015, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Dear all,

recently one of my CF cards crashed in the camera after shooting with MagicLantern. Not the card itself, but the file system which was previously ExFAT and listed as RAW afterwards.

Trying different software recovery tools I was able to recover the partition using Aidfile (www.aidfile.com). It recovered the whole layout including its folder structure and all files with correct name, size and date. I spot checked some of the .jpg and .cr2 (Canon raw) files and everything looked good, so I was happy... for a while.

Now I tried to convert the .mlv files and when I open them with MLVViewSharp or MLVFS I only get a 44 byte .wav file and the first .dng picture. The pic is okay in the top 5% and otherwise just shows lots of colored pixels. So my question is now, is there a way to still access the information inside? Audio is not important as I used an external recorder. I've read that ML files don't create an end of file, but as I did a partition instead of file recovery I still have hope.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ben

DeafEyeJedi

I've tried this similar situation with PhotoRec which seems to work OK but not perfect.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13602.0
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ben

Meanwhile I've installed MlRawViewer and really like it at first appearance. This tool displays the number of frames and the first one like described but all other frames are simply black, so my hope is slightly decreasing now.

user0597

I made a (rather long) post about a similar situation.

This is how I resolved it: http://www.filedropper.com/mlvfixingguidev11_1
Could be helpful, could be not. I sure didn't find the situation amusing.

ben

Hi user0597, unfortunately the link to your guide is broken. Could you please upload it again and send me the link? Thanks a lot!

ben

Just for your information, nothings seems to help here anymore. I renamed the .mlv into an .img file and assigned QPhotoRec to recover the lost data out of this "raw disk image". Instead of several 3.5 MB .mlv files it started to recover a bunch of old .cr2 and .jpg files.

As writing to the cards was successful it seems that the file structure itself was destroyed later, maybe by removing the card too quickly out of the camera or so.

user0597

I did update it, but forgot about the link in this post. Sure, I'll send it to you in a PM.