Detecting panorama tiles - how to?

Started by korinkite, August 26, 2015, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korinkite

I'm a python scripter that's currently trying to automate the process of HDR panoramas. To that end, ML has been a huge boon because I can keep a log of what files are bracketed photographs using the optional output text file when shooting "Advanced Bracket" mode. I'd like to do the same for an entire sequence of photographs for panoramas.

For example: If I shot a spherical panorama as 2 row, 4 column setup (10 bracketed sequences total, including the nadir and zenith photograph) but I shot enough photos for 10 or 15 panoramas  earlier in the day, I want my automated code to still know when the panorama starts and ends even if some panoramas were spherical, others were cylinder, had varying brackets, etc.

Can photo sets and/or bracketed photo sets for each intended panorama be tracked somehow using Magic Lantern? The ideal solution would be to have a text file containing the names of each photo meant for every single panorama just like the ones you can save with the Advanced Bracket but I'm looking into any solution as long as it fulfills my needs.

My current solutions are possibly to look into assigning a filename base so that, before every panorama, I could just quickly rename the next panorama something different. Another idea I had was to compare each photograph's GPS location. If it's clear that I moved between a photo sets, I could use that to determine when one panorama started and ended. Either that or, at an even more abstract level, I could use the camera's pitch/yaw/roll metadata and use that to figure out which way the camera is facing. If I always start shooting with the zenith, I could use that as a marker for when a set of panoramas start and end but that'd require me to shoot the same way every time, which isn't ideal.

I hope this can be solved cleanly using my current setup but I'm open to explore any solution

I am using:
Canon Rebel T3i w/ ML Nightly 2015 Apr 19 firmware
iPhone 5 attached to the camera's hot shoe
iOS app Motion Data Logger to output the pitch/yaw/roll info
iOS app GPS4Cam to sync my GPS location with my camera photos in post

korinkite

After looking at a couple of solutions,  I settled on the simplest method - for each new panorama I take, I first go into the menu option, create a new folder and add my photo brackets to the folder. So now the script operates one level higher and interprets every folder as a panorama and each .txt contributes as brackets for the panorama. It requires additional setup but it's the simplest solution I could think of.

The only caveat is that this solution is vulnerable to user error. I'd much prefer something more programmatic. If anyone sees this post later and thinks of something, please let me know what you think