Can I recover split MLVs showing 0kb after running out of space on card?

Started by benyonker, August 22, 2015, 09:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benyonker

I've seen solutions to fix this problem when recording .RAW files, but not .MLV. I thought maybe the same technique would work (editing the footer in a hex editor), but no luck figuring out how to do so thus far.

My issue is this: I was recording several clips to a 64GB card. During the last clip, the card ran out of space and (obviously) stopped recording. That last clip was split into 10 files (M18-1239.MLV, M18-1239.M00 - M08). When I copied all of the files from the card to my computer, I noticed that they all had file sizes of zero bytes. It seems to me that there is nothing to recover, but I'm holding out hope that they file size is simply reading incorrectly due to whatever is causing the corruption.

So my question has two parts:

1) Is there anything for me to recover and, if so, how can I do so?
2) How can I prevent this from happening again? I thought there was some sort of buffer built in to ML that would stop recording and close a file before running out of space on the card. Is that not the case?

I'm using ML Nightly.2015Apr28.5D3123
5D Mk III
Lexar 1066x 64GB CF cards

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Frank7D

Are all the files 0 bytes, including the first .MLV file?
It's normal to have 0 sized files when you are filming a clip and run out of space on a card.
See this.

benyonker

Frank7D

Do you know (roughly) at what point in the last shot the card ran out of space?
Just trying to figure out if it's possible the last shot was never recorded to begin with.

benyonker

It was a couple of minutes into the clip, which is why this surprises me. I would have expected to see some indication of data, but there is nothing.

DeafEyeJedi

Did you check your SD card to be sure there's nothing that got recorded onto it after this occurred?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

benyonker

I hadn't even considered that. Just checked, though, and nothing was recorded to the SD card.

I'm fairly certain there will be no recovery of this footage, but my other question remains: Isn't there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? I had "Reserve card space" turned on, which is supposed to prevent data loss on a full card. Obviously it didn't help here...