low light noise help

Started by notimeforfakes, August 17, 2015, 09:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notimeforfakes

Shooting on 5d mark 3.  mlv with sound.  24 fps 1920x1080.  Mlvfs (default settings) to resolve 12.  camera raw set to cinema dng and color space set to bmd film.

Normal lit conditions this works great.  Low light,  shadows and or high iso and things get pretty noisy.  I read people say that hunters lut was meant to be used with under exposed footage, but if i underexpose anything in raw it looks like a low light iPhone video.

Am i missing something?  I see low light high iso videos online that look great. 

Frank7D

Not much you can do with not enough light.
~ Definitely use the highest ISO you can without blowing out the image. Higher is better.
~ Use the slowest shutter speed you can without getting too much blur.
~ You can try noise reduction in post to deal with grainy noise.

notimeforfakes

Thanks, Frank7d.  That is what i am experimenting with now.  Just got a little confused when i read about people under exposing.  That gave me absolute garbage.  I am having better luck over exposing a 3rd stop with higher iso (5000ish).  Would you suggest going with a slower shutter speed than 50?

I am not a pro.  Just kinda go by the basics.  I am the kind of guy that likes to learn the rules before i break them.

Frank7D

I would just try slower shutter speeds and see if they look acceptable to you.
The 1/50 (or 1/48) shutter speed you often see suggested is to emulate the look of a film camera with a 180 degree shutter shooting at 24 fps. It's going for a certain traditional "look." I would let taste be my guide.

notimeforfakes