Dead pixel shows only in Resolve

Started by GutterPump, August 16, 2015, 02:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutterPump

Hello again,

I get a new issue on Resolve.

1) I did a mapping of my sensor of my 5D mk II because i get a dead pixel.

2) After tryed the crop mod with ML and extract my DNG with raw2cdng v1.6.5, i didnt saw any dead  pixels in my extracted DNG with the windows image gallery viewer.

3) But when i importe the DNG sequence in Resolve the dead pixel appears

Here exemples to see :

Do you have any solutions ? or tips to apply in Resolve for fix it ?

Thanks you.

Walter Schulz

Windows version?
And please check which codecs you have installed.

GutterPump

Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate SP1

DNGCodec version 2.0

This dead pixel appears only in Resolve.
When i open a DNG image in Photoshop CC 2015 with camera raw 8.0 i dont see anything.

Andy600

Have you tried this? http://www.playtool.com/pages/pixelpatcher/pixelpatcher.html. I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works or not. Worth a shot though and free :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

GutterPump

Wow thanks it work !

It's easy to use, just to create a patch image (create a black image and create dead pixel with the pen in toshop) with the same resolution of the originals DNG and apply this image patch  into davinci with PixelPatcher.

Thanks you Andy.

But i still don't understand why the DNG sequences are not clear only in Resolve.

GutterPump

Andy600

:) good to know that works!

If dead pixel mapping is meta then Resolve must be ignoring it. Meta support varies from app to app.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

Got a few files with dead pixel(s) as well -- is there Mac version of this or somewhat similar?

Cleaning this out in AE can be a pain because the DP show up varies of places (different cards, etc) it's not in the same exact spot every time so patching them is no fun.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

Before create a layer - I did one time directly in Da Vinci - try to convert your .RAW to DNG with a software that correct your vertical stripes.

I found this and works for me on mac (OSX: MLV Mystic - MLRAW VIEWER).

hateom

I noticed that ACR/Lightroom fixes some deadpixels by itself, so maybe some dng libraries do fix them automatically while DaVinci Resolve renders them directly. Just guessing.

stmp

Chiming in here, same problem - my 7D with the latest nightly build: Nightly.2015Aug19.7D203.zip

Converted to DNG using cr2hdr-r automator app workflow

Dead pixel only shows up in Resolve. I cannot see it when looking at the DNG files directly.

Even more strange is the fact that there is no dead pixel when I shoot in 3X crop mode!

Any ideas? I've uploaded a quick video to show the dead pixel. The video is all shot as MLV, converted to DNG, exported out of resolve, then again exported out of quicktime for a smaller file size.
There are three clips, the first is in crop mode with no dead pixel, the next has the dead pixel, and the last is another closeup in crop mode, with no dead pixels.

Dropbox Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12355264/7D%20Raw%20Sample%20DP.mov

I've also noticed that there is no dead pixel when shooting normal h.264.

Any ideas?
7D running magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun09.7D203

DeafEyeJedi

Does the dead pixel still occur when using different CF cards?

To confirm whether it's coming from the sensor itself or the cards...

Danne

@stmp
Davinci resolve don, t autocorrect dead pixels as acr. Try mlvfs. Dmilligan implemented a pixel fix algorithm which seems good.

stmp

@Danne: Thanks much; I'll give MLVFS a shot!

@DeafEyeJedi: sorry only have one CF card, my smaller 8GB older ones are not readable by the 7D (though they work fine on my Mac when running diskspeed).

Walter Schulz

IMO dead pixel issues are unrelated to card issues.

stmp

@Danne: Unfortunately the dead Pixel still there after using MLVS - I will say though it's amazing how fast MLVS gets the files accessible!

Danne

Ok, I see. And you also selected "bad pixel fix" in settings in web gui?

DeafEyeJedi

Upload an original MLV for us to see/test if possible?

stmp

@DeafEyeJedi:

My apologies, I had not noticed the Bad Pixel Fix in the MLVFS GUI, my permission settings somehow botched the browser from showing this.

@Danne:

Problem SOLVED!

The dead pixel fix in MLVFS worked perfectly for me.

Below are two links to compare:

MLV converted to DNG using MLVFS, then exported from Resolve 11: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13657856/M08-1042.mov

MLV converted using MLV Mystic, then exported from Resolve 11: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13657856/M08-1042%20MLV%20Mystic.mov

Thanks again for the help.

DeafEyeJedi

Sure -- just remember to "refresh" your web browser after you make any adjustments in the web GUI prior to rendering in order for them to take effect otherwise.

Also you should be thanking @Danne -- not me technically.