back pat a first-timer and give constructive criticism

Started by mattb3476, August 02, 2015, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb3476

oh hi.  well, i've worked with video for a while now.  "but i am not a filmmaker."   ???  that's what i say .  ::)  i'm not even sure if it's filmmaker or film-maker.   :P

bit.ly/IMDB-ml
bit.ly/VIMEO-ml
bit.ly/WORK-ml
bit.ly/VIDEOGOLDFISH-ml

i became interested in magic lantern after color grading for a while at work and playing with footage from different cameras.

i wanted a cleaner image with more range and no compression.

so raw.  that's what i came for, first.  :D

and timelapses.  8)

and zebras and peaking and a histogram.  oh my.  :-*

and dual iso video.  :o

oh man.

i first ran magic lantern on my 5D3 a couple weeks ago.

take a look!  it was so exciting.  the shooting isn't magic.  but the video is getting close.  no macroblocking.  the shadows.  the range.  the color.  tasty.

5D3.  Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM.  1/100sec f4.0 ISO640 17mm 1920x1080 23.9FPS, S-Log

MIRawViewer to ProRes.  Colored in Davinci and exported to 422.  then After Effects.

a lot of it is a little out of focus. wtf.  that sucked.  when my camera's on my car hood, i use an hdmi sd monitor.  so i can't see critical focus in hd.  buuut, i thought if i focused at infinity, i'd be fine  :'(.

so.

so much to explore.

any thoughts?

any constructive criticism of the video above?

i'm currently trying to understand the vertical noise lines i'm seeing in low light stuff.

here's a couple crops from the ProRes from the MLV.

here's a clip with contrast and such and no noise reduction.  you can still see the lines underneath the vimeo compression.

or here, you can download .MOV PNG sequences and see more references.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dcakp9timtwnik/AABFYP6uoMx4gNsa_UkB4QpTa?dl=0

i've done some searching, but it's taking effort just to dig into magic lantern, generally, and get some bearings.  so i still have nothing, really.

any advice would be cool.

thank you to everyone who deserves a thank you.  everyone else, together now... "hip hip hooray!"

mattb3476