Superresolution Supermoon photo using raw video

Started by mvejerslev, August 02, 2015, 03:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvejerslev

Hi guys,

I thought you might enjoy this photo of the full moon. Its a 100% crop from a 400mm L lens on a canon 5DII.

I used MLV video to record it (crop mode on tripod), and then used about 240 aligned and averaged frames to achieve 'superresolution' - to eradicate random image noise, and obtain a much sharper image free of atmospherical disturbances. I did this in floating point mode to also achieve a higher color bit depth in PS CC (final image is 32bit, but also - no bigger than what you see here).

Best,

Mathias
5D Mark II, PC

TechnoPilot

Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mvejerslev

Thanks guys! You should try it out :-) Its another of those computational photography tricks we love. In this case, raw video was just as good as using full res raw photos, since the MLV crop mode video corresponds to 1:1 crop on the sensor anyway. And the workflow was arguably easier using MLV (lower: data load, superflous data, shutter clicks).
5D Mark II, PC

Lemondixon

Hi there,

I have just loaded ML on my Canon 5D Mk II for the first time and was browsing the forum to get a better understanding of what I can do with this for (primarily) still images. I am really impressed at what you've achieved here but I don't yet understand enough to figure out how you have used ML and post processing techniques to obtain this amazing "super resolution" image result.

Are you able to share how you did this or point me to where I can find out more about the techniques you've used here?

Thanks

Steve

mvejerslev

Hey there Steve - sure, thanks for asking.

You need to read up on 'stacking'. Its a common technique in astrophotography, where you place several frames (layers in potoshop), of the same scene on top of each other, register them exactly, and then average the pixel content through the layer stack in various ways. For instance Median or Mean values of each pixel stack. The result is that you get rid of random image noise and atmospheric haze, because these factors are random from image to image. I believe you need Photoshop CC to have access to Photoshops stacking functions, though it is possible to stack manually.

The more photos you stack, the cleaner the result generally. In this case, I used something like 240 frames off Magic Lantern Raw video. I could have shot 1000+ raw frames and chosen the best frames from that, but shooting video is way more practical in this scenario.

5D Mark II, PC