Canon 5d mk3 - difference between 1.2.3 and ML in Photography ( only )

Started by Pimps, July 29, 2015, 07:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pimps

Hi
i'm a photojournalist and i don't make videos.
Is there any difference in raw quality or AF speed and accuracy between the original firmware and the ML ?
I'm only interested in the Photo side, not in video or timelapse stuff.

Very thanks!

halbmoki

The RAW quality or AF speed don't change with ML, but there are a few features that might be useful for a photojournalist:

- The auto exposure module is useful if you want a bit more control than just using AV or TV mode (assuming manual mode is not an option in all situations). It's basically a vastly improved P mode, where you can set a min and max AV, TV, ISO and exposure compensation for every EV.

- Dual ISO could be useful for high dynamic range situations. Bracketing your exposure is not always an option, but this can give you ~3 more stops of DR in exchange for slightly reduced vertical resolution.

- Automatic mirror lockup could sometimes be useful to reduce camera shake. It really depends on the situation.

- Trap focus is quite useful for sports, if that's one of your subjects.

These are the ones I can think of right now... There are probably a few more minor tweaks that make life as a photographer easier. Video may be the main focus of ML, but that doesn't mean that it's useless for still images.

Pimps

The improved P is very usefull, what about the dual ISO ?
For example... in a heavy contrasted situation ( like a backlight ) the sensor take high iso on the subject and low iso on the light ?
Can i set the range for every ISO ?

DeafEyeJedi

Sure, you can.

It's also reccomended to use ETTR while snapping Dual-ISO photos (I like using 100/1600) and the post workflow is fairly easy to do.

Which OS are you running?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

ML metering aids in QR are very useful, esp when shooting raw. The histogram that canon gives you is not a histogram of the true raw data. ML gives you a true raw one. Zebras are also very useful.

Pimps

can i test it and then roll back to the original ( eventually... )

Walter Schulz