Skipping message while recoding raw video with 6D

Started by razpuntebast, July 27, 2015, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

razpuntebast

Hi everyone,

I've just installed ML on my SD card (a Lexar pro. 1000x (150mb/s) SDXC II. C10, 64 GB) on canon 6D.

As soon as I start recording in raw, the recording stops automatically showing this message: skipping, didn't make it to the estimated time. It records about 5, 6 seconds and that's it.

I'm sure this is not a new topic and there are others who have faced the same problem. I'm not at all familiar with ML, this is my absolute first usage and it will be a great favor if you can help me out with this.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

There is no Canon DSLR supporting UHS-II. All those cards will run in UHS-I mode. And 6D write transfer rate is limited to about 41 MByte/s. You may see UHS-II speeds only when inserted in UHS-II compatible cardreader.

You omitted crucial information: MLV/RAW recording mode used? ExFAT file system? Frame rate and resolution?

Levas

Like walter says, the canon 6d card writer can write about 41MB/s
So for continuous recording time you must settle for 1280x720 resolution.
Or go for short clips in higher resolution.
I use 1792x750 and 1728x724 a lot. Both are in aspect ratio 2,39 and scale nicely to 1920x800 for final format.
1792x750 @25fps gives about 14 seconds recording time.
1728x724 @25fps gives about 17 seconds recording time.

KelvinK

Levas, why 25p and not 23.936? It can give some extra second or two.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Only reason I use 25fps is that I live in a country that uses PAL system, so I'm used to 25 fps.
But today, with computers and flatscreen TV's which can play most formats and framerates , there is actually no need to stay on 25fps...but it has become a habit for me to shoot 25fps.