question about raw video and card speed for 600d

Started by lifeartpixels, July 26, 2015, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeartpixels

hi all,

ive been recording HDR for quite some time with ML, now wanna see if i can get into RAW recording. Some of these question may be beginner/dumb, my apologies.

- I have a 30 mbps card, 16gb. Would this card be sufficient to record in raw? the recording resolution should be big enough to be able to upscale to 1280x720.

- How long would i be able to record on a 16GB card, on the highest resolution possible with the combination of a 600D and a 30mbps card?

- On youtube i see RAW-HDR footage as well, are they just yapping or is it really possible to shoot in Raw And HDR at the same time? (also with 600D?)

- How is the noise performance when you compare RAW video to the standard HDR footage from ML? This is the whole reason why i would like to get into RAW video, i shoot a lot of indoor HDR video and the noise is killing me, especially when i am forced to use iso1600 due to poor lighting.

Hope you can clear this up for me, thanks!

Olivant

30mbps won't cut it. I have been recording raw at full HD and Ml says that requires a write speed around 90 mbps. You could go for a lower resolution though....

CF cards have come down in price recently. I got a 128GB Lexar udma 7 card (160 mbps) for about 150 the other day.

And yes you can record raw hdr. I am testing now. The problem i am running into is getting avisynth to accept the raw video. I need to figure out the specs of what to covert it to to work with the interframe script

Walter Schulz

And here we go again: SD-card interface in 600D is limited to 25 MByte/s transfer speed. You will be rather lucky to get about 20 MByte/s writing during recording.
Use rbrune's calculator to compute numbers for continuous recording: http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

And visit www.cameramemoryspeed.com to learn about real world card speeds. Manufacturers use transfer speed numbers for *read* most of the time. And it's *write* you're looking for ...

@Olivant: You will have a hard time trying to insert a CF-card into 600D. And answering posts 18 months old ...

PaulHarwood856

Hey Olivant,

If you're looking for cheap Lexar 128 gb CF cards, check Lens Authority. Cosmetics aren't ggreat, but cards function flawlessly. Bought two cards for $128.00