Accessing Dual Pixel CMOS data from 70D

Started by LexLuxor, July 26, 2015, 01:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LexLuxor

First off, searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this.
Secondly, I'm Very new to photography so might not have the understatement for what actually constitutes as being a useful feature.

So, the feature idea:
To use the phase data form Dual Pixel CMOS AF sensor in the 70D to obtain half resolution depth information for the scene.
My understanding of both this technology and how different physical aspects work in photography is very limited, so this might not be a possibility at all.
What this might be useful for, if at all possible or even logical, is to acquire a depth map.

Why I think this might be useful:
Since I've basically only been looking at the surface and not even begun scratching it I have very limited experience in developing and kind of retouching photos. Something I have found though is that when trying to create selection masks it is somewhat problematic and fiddly. The programs can't really do it automatically and doing it manually is doable but is taking time which could be spent on other things.
This data, if it were to work somewhat what I imagine, could be used to select areas with different depth values. This should make mask selection of objects and outlines much easier.

Anyways, thank you for this excellent peace of software and all your hard work.

Andreasb242

Maybe a little off topic, but you know there is already software which can create 3D objects out of focus stacked images?

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpdJo4rsKI