Focus stacking 60D menu change

Started by daf7, July 13, 2015, 04:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf7

Hello Listers,

I recently updated ML to Nightly Build June 9, 2015 and the menu for focus stacking has changed.
Now I can't take a proper sequence like I did in an earlier version.

Here's my flowchart:

Focus End Point (Press Q to zero); Use L/R toggles to go to the farthest point in the photograph. Press Zero.
Go to the front of the photograph and press Set. For example 20 steps will be showing.
Number of pictures in front of of current focus point : Set the number. I've tried 0-5
Ditto for behind focus point: I've tried 0-5
Total number of pictures will be calculated

When I run the stack, the most of the images are well outside the focus range I set (e.g. 20 steps). I've tried many combinations without luck.
If you set the focus from the front to the back, why do you need to indicate the number of images behind and in front of the focus point? Where does that come into play?

Can anyone assist?

The older ML version was simple: Set the front focus, set the back and hit Play to start.

With thanks!

Walter Schulz

I hope Marsu42 comes back to clear things up about rack focus and focus stack. Stumbling over those options, too.

For starters try this (you have to find your numbers depending on lens/distance/magnification):
- Set near focus point as focus end point 0 (here)
- Focus stacking -> Number of pics behind > 0
- Number of pics in front = 0
- Focus steps / picture = 2

For peace of mind while tuning:
Shoot tab -> Shoot preferences -> Snap simulation Blink & Beep

daf7

Thanks Walter,

My e-mail was a bit convoluted but hopefully explains some of the settings I've tried.
I'll definitely try your suggestions.

With thanks - David