Resolve 11.3.1 and Canon Custom Camera Profiles?

Started by Bassman2003, July 13, 2015, 01:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman2003

Hello,

I am shooting ML RAW video with a 5DMKIII and putting the DNG files inside Resolve to edit.  So far everything is great.  Much better than the After Effects workflow I used to do.  But, I miss being able to use my custom camera profiles that are created in the Adobe DNG Profiler.  When I process RAW still in Lightroom I have a custom set of color adjustments for each lens.  I apply these upon import and my color accuracy is much improved.

Does anybody know if there is a way to use these inside of Resolve 11.3?

Or, is there another program or way to create these adjustments for Resolve?  This might be something like a LUT but I am not sure.  I shoot a frame with a bunch of color charts and tough colors like purple and put it in the DNG profiler.  I then can eyedrop pick certain colors and adjust HSL.  This is all made into a profile.

Anyway, thanks for your input and I hope I can work with Resolve like I do the Adobe programs.  RAW video on the 5DMKIII is just amazing and is still holding its own against new cameras for me.

mothaibaphoto

You can try dcp2icc if Resolve accept ICC profiles.
And, please, some details about this:
Quote from: Bassman2003 on July 13, 2015, 01:36:00 AM
... Much better than the After Effects workflow I used to do.
I want to try Resolve, but can't find the reason...

Bassman2003

Hello,

I think ICC profiles are for monitors.  Can they be used for cameras?

I find working with Resolve to be more like working with video than converted stills.  After Effects has the nice RAW interface for the single frame you pick to expose, but the lack of realtime playback and needing to conform the footage is a little tedious.  If you have a RAID or SSD you can put the DNGs on the timeline and get realtime playback (full res with SSD and 1/2 res with RAID).  I would say give it a try.

mothaibaphoto

ICC profiles not just for monitors. Some RAW converters can use ICC profiles. Capture One, for example. Realtime playback of raw - why? I don't need this... Finally, i can run MlRawViewer if I want to look at my video before I convert it. MlRawViewer plays realtime on decent hardware.

Bassman2003

I will look into ICC profiles with Resolve.

Why do you need realtime playback while editing?  I think it is a lot easier to edit footage when I can play it back without rendering.  You can only scrub in AE unless you render first.  I am not here to convince you though! :)