Successfully built my first custom autoexec.bin file. Now what?

Started by PhotoCat, July 01, 2015, 07:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoCat

Dear all,

With encouragement from dmilligan and youtube tutorial from Mathew Kelly, I have successfully built my first custom autoexec.bin
file with some spotmeter mods in the zebra.c file.  This new feature is working in my 5D2 now :)

Now I have got my Virtualbox 4.3.28 mostly working except copy & paste from host (win7 home premium 64) to VM.
Running gcc4.8.3 here based on the ML code I copied from bitbucket on June 29, 2015.

What would be the next logical step for me?   Does any one have a road map how to venture into ML development?

What is the official procedure to submit and merge my mods to the nightly?  What if someone else is also
working on the zerbra.c file? Is TortoiseHG an answer?  I had no clue what a pull request or commit was until
I looked this up:

https://help.github.com/articles/github-glossary/

But even then I have no clue about the overall process.

Any pointers in the overall process will be highly appreciated! Thanks!

dmilligan

For more information on version control http://hginit.com/ is a good place to start.

A basic outline for submitting changes is:

1. create a 'fork' of the ML repository (you can do this from bitbucket)
2. 'clone' your fork to your local computer
3. make some changes
4. 'commit' the changes you made
5. 'push' the changes back to your fork
6. create a 'pull request' on bitbucket from your fork to the main repo

PhotoCat

Thanks dmilligan for the pointers! The process is more clear to me now and I will give that a try!  :)

dfort

Marsu42

This works, but annoyingly you have to add a complete fork for every single pull request, even minor changes. The method to prevent this is to create a branch from the trunk of your fork, and then do a pull request from there.

Quote from: dmilligan on July 01, 2015, 08:51:02 PM
1. create a 'fork' of the ML repository (you can do this from bitbucket)
2. 'clone' your fork to your local computer
3. make some changes
4. 'commit' the changes you made
5. 'push' the changes back to your fork
6. create a 'pull request' on bitbucket from your fork to the main repo