Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilias.2008

rizom

Hi guys I'm doing some youtube videos and I would like to do more than 12 minutes clips, what settings should I use? Is ML usefull for that?
Thanks!

P.S I got a kiss5 it's ok? what firmware should I install before mL?

gerdmitpferd

Hello,
I played the last ML-firmware from 07th December 2017 up.
My EOS 600D gets too hot (over 50 ° C) after only 2 minutes.

The camera is about 10°C warmer than the ML-firmware
from the 24th of November 2017.

I came across it on the 24th of November because it was downloaded by many users.

I'm back on the ML-FW on November 24th

Walter Schulz

Are you able to reproduce this effect?
Setting ML to default doesn't fix it?

gerdmitpferd

I could give it a try by telling me what to do.
Lately, I've taken many pictures with long exposure with ISO160.
I did not do anything else except using the latest ML.
Which information would be helpful?
I would play the new ML for it again ....

We are also happy to talk by PM and in German and publish the solution in English here

regards

GerdmitPferd

Walter Schulz

Ich kann Dir nicht erzählen, was Du zu tun hast. Die Info, dass mit dem neuen Build die Kamera schneller warm wird, kam von Dir, nicht von mir. Also kannst nur Du erklären, unter welchen Bedingungen die Kamera diesen Effekt zeigt und ob das mit älteren Builds ebenfalls eintritt.
Falls der Effekt nicht reproduzierbar ist, haben die Entwickler nichts in der Hand, dem Fehler auf die Spur zu kommen.

Du kannst ML auf der Karte einfach überschreiben. Nimm die Zip, entpacke sie und überschreibe alles im ML-Verzeichnis und ebenso die Autoexec.bin.

wildbill001

I used ML several years ago when I first got my T3i.  I went to use it several weeks ago after a LONG hiatus and the card wouldn't load.  So I'm looking for a new build.  The most current nightly build shows 2 tests failed.  Now, I'm not sure those test are important--or are they?  Is there a previous build that passes all the tests that maybe I should use?

And lastly, am I posting this in the correct forum?     :-\

Thanks for the help

Bill W

a1ex

I believe the lua_fix build should pass all these tests, but didn't run them yet. These tests are just scratching the surface though - only 5-6 features out of a few hundreds.

This build has some major changes in the backend, and I hope they are in the good direction, but I've barely tested a tiny percentage of them (mostly on 5D3 and 60D). From the feedback received so far, I'm currently unable to judge the status of this build, sorry.

BTW - to see what these tests do, go to QEMU-nightly-tests and watch the gif files (todo: I should link them in the main page). For the failed tests, look at some other model to see how they should look like. Feel free to repeat these tests on actual hardware and report any differences.

gerdmitpferd

Quote from: gerdmitpferd on December 10, 2017, 02:33:20 PM
I could give it a try by telling me what to do.
Lately, I've taken many pictures with long exposure with ISO160.
I did not do anything else except using the latest ML.
Which information would be helpful?
I would play the new ML for it again ....

We are also happy to talk by PM and in German and publish the solution in English here

regards

GerdmitPferd

My problem with the Temparatur, which incidentally right after switching on, has been done.
I installed the latest LUA for the 600D.
It works ok for me.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/lua_fix/427/artifact/platform/600D.102/magiclantern-lua_fix.2017Dec16.600D102.zip/

@ Walter Schulz
I thought that maybe you can debug something. To limit errors
Proceeded after exclusion, ... what did I do when it happened was not feasible.
I meant it friendly

regards

GerdmitPferd

Bob Hayes

i am version 1.0.3 on my 600d. Can I still download ML although it says 1.0.2?

xysunny

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum - couldn't find the right thread to ask this question - My 600D has been acting weird for the past few days - it wouldn't turn on ! I tried to remove the battery and SD card , insert them back and try again - sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Now, my camera just won't turn on and whenever I try to remove the battery, a red light blinks - that's all. I checked my camera with another good battery (my friend's), but the camera won't turn on.

Any guidance will be really helpful !  :)

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card.
Insert battery. Do *not* insert card.
Turn on cam. Results?

xysunny

I tried the operations that you had asked me to do!  Not working :(

( I didn't have the camera battery with me , so I couldn't test it earlier. When I got it back, i inserted the battery back into the camera, and it started working. It was fine for 2 days.

Now its not working :(

Walter Schulz

Backup autoexec.bin located on ML card. Copy Portable Display Test autoexec.bin to card.

- Remove battery
- Insert card
- Insert battery

Results?

xysunny

ML - I don't have Magic Lantern installed on the camera.  :(

How do I proceed ?

ToniX

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 01, 2017, 02:41:43 PM
Use https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/ until this problem is solved.
I can't find any version for 600D  listed on your page ...where is it? (the only available file for 600D is "firmware for tester") Should I choose a build for a different model,which one in case?

I hope to find a solution to my issue with that, because....

...In the last days I have installed (and reinstalled) several times, the following packages, but no luck: each one of them it caused some serious issue ( camera hangs, modules won't load, module errors, memory errors, script errors,unusable video preview...), so that I  had to give up using those latest ML 600D N.B.

magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2017Dec18.600D102
magiclantern-Nightly.2017Dec07.600D102
magiclantern-lua_fix.2017Dec23.600D102
enGlPb+uLUA_FIX)
d62nh6VR*
tniyhfWA* 
(* Those last two are just the names of the zips when downloaded, following a thread in some ML forum board).

I used ML from 2013 especially for photo (and then left it for more than 1 year, and now I'm back to experiment with video) and I never had so many issues have it running, I'm now quite confused: is it there a more stable Build somewhere that I've missed, or a more reliable build is coming out soon so would be better to wait?

solution or not I'am amazed anyway for the genius technicians and coders behind the ML project, I'am learning so much.
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

a1ex

Without documenting the issues properly, there is no "more reliable build coming out soon" (in particular, not regarding the above issues).

Why? Because nobody else reported anything like this on the recent builds.

In particular, I'm waiting for feedback on the lua_fix builds, to decide whether to merge them into mainline, or wait. Before your report, I would have assumed things are fine on 600D, fix the remaining nitpicks for other models (not related to any of your issues), and merge lua_fix into mainline (without being able to address your issues). Now I'm confused.

Without seeing the error, and without knowing what modules you were trying to load, what settings you have changed from default, and what additional files you have used (such as extra modules or custom scripts - you mentioned scripts), I'm unable to answer (and I doubt anyone else is). It might be user error or it might be a real issue - I have no idea.

To create a more reliable build, first I need to know the issues with the current build and how to reproduce these errors. From fuzzy reports (or worse, from lack of reports), I'm unable to draw any meaningful conclusions, so if you just wait, the next build will either be mostly the same as the current one (with just minor fixes on other models) or it may have untested stuff that breaks even more functionality (as I may assume things are working fine, and go ahead and merge some experimental branches into mainline without knowing how they actually work on 600D).

I can run some limited tests in QEMU, but as emulation doesn't currently cover LiveView or photo capture, the tests I'm able to run are quite basic (whether you can navigate ML menu, whether you can load modules/scripts, whether we are correctly reserving memory from Canon firmware and similar stuff). Most of the "interesting" features are much harder to test in the emulator.

The above applies to any other camera model, not just 600D.

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Walter Schulz

Quote from: ToniX on January 16, 2018, 07:49:06 AM
I can't find any version for 600D  listed on your page ...where is it?

This was meant to be a temporary solution for users asking about temporarily dead links to Canon firmware on ML's download page. This condition doesn't apply anymore.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: xysunny on January 15, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
ML - I don't have Magic Lantern installed on the camera.  :(

How do I proceed ?

@a1ex: Any ideas?

a1ex

The current state is not clear to me.

Was ML ever installed on this camera?

If yes, I understand the camera was used temporarily without ML for 2 days, then it stopped working. If this is the case, how was ML uninstalled? By formatting the card, or by running the firmware update to disable the boot flag in the camera?

If the card was formatted, place portable display test autoexec on the card, make it bootable with EOSCard / MacBoot and check for any signs of life.

If ML was never installed on the camera, and it does not show any signs of life, we are unable to run any code on it. If OP has electronics skills, this might help, but I don't know how these signals should look on a good camera: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7531 (it's still an open puzzle, where anyone with an Arduino or RPi or similar board can help)

General checks: make sure the card and battery doors are closed and their micro-switches are working. If any of them is open, on some models you will not get any signs of life. Without ML installed or without a bootable card inside, this is probably true on all models (at least if talking about signs of life visible with the naked eye, without a multimeter).

ToniX

@a1ex            Thanks a1ex for taking my post into consideration.

Your observations are correct and I totally agree with you on all the line..

I own a 600D which is notoriously limited in terms of filming in 14Bit RAW.

Then the 10/12 bit RAW as well as the LUA implementation appeared and this reignited my interest in ML :D.

The NB .2017Dec07.600D102 does not offer 10-12 RAW bits and the LUA module completely blocks the machine if activated and therefore is useless.

The other builds (LUA fix and laters) are updates of the latter (RAW video only at 14Bit) and  running LUA I still had errors, if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to test both 10/12 Bit RAw and LUA in a single build?
If yes, how should I do?

(I tried to copy the 10/12 modules over the builds with LUA fix and vice versa but, without success).

P:S I've read your call for tester, I hope I can participate-

All the best  :)
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

a1ex

You could merge both branches and compile from source. Copying modules over won't work, as lua_fix contains many backend changes that break binary compatibility.

Once I'll integrate one of these two branches into mainline (whichever I'll consider ready first, based on user feedback), the functionality will also arrive in the remaining experimental builds.

ToniX

@a1ex
Quote from: a1ex on January 17, 2018, 08:46:54 AM
You could merge both branches and compile from source. Copying modules over won't work, as lua_fix contains many backend changes that break binary compatibility.

Unfortunately this is out of my Hw/SW/time/skills, reach. :-[

For a while I will play with magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2017Dec18.600D102 wich should be the most updated build available.. can you please confirm?

Thanks
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

Stryker1

I just made an update to the current nightly build (2017-12-07), to hopefully get a bug fixed, but the "missing feature" is still there:

I want to have clear display of the live view. Therefor I turned on the option "clear overlays" and set it to "always".
This works on the camera display, but when using the HDMI out of the camera I get the black/grey borders on the right and left side, nearly every time I switch on the camera again - but not always

When pressing [Trash] button, the displays is cleared fine every time. But next time I shut the camera off and on, the black borders are there again and I have to press [Trash] again.
Anyone else having this problem?

I found the user fdwet, who also had/has this problem with a 100D:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16040.msg183340#msg183340

My problem is that my 600D is placed in a case, so I can not press the Trash button every time the camera is powered on.