Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitanazop

but the loseless option arent

Walter Schulz

Disclaimer: You can't predict the efficiency of this compression algorithm for a random scene.
Use 2/3 compression rate (3 MByte uncompressed -> 2 MByte compressed) with more than a grain of salt.

ShootMeAlready

The rate I recommend is 720p @2:35, 24fps, 10 bit raw. Its 19.6 MB/s, so its continuous.
That is rather excellent for this camera, and is very fine setting for Inet delivery (assume you deliver at 2:39).

If you want better raw, you need a higher card write speed than 21 MB/s max.  really 5DMkII or 5DMkIII would do it.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

bluesquare

Hi all, new to Magic Lantern..
Have a Canon 600D and would like to know how I can only make this software under a certain setting. i.e. Only have ML with bracketing options only in the "M" mode of the camera which will allow me to use the "A+" setting for non bracketing option.
Thanks

ommmann

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a real basic question, but I've been trying find out the exact steps to work with a new SD card on a cam with ML already.

The previous owner was using ML, so it's already on the camera working fine. I've got a new 64GB SD card, and I'm wondering what steps I need to take to start using ML myself...

Am I correct in assuming this is what I need to do?

1: format card on camera
2: install ML on SD card from PC
3: put card in camera and enjoy

Am I missing some crucial step here...?

Thanks for helping me not brick my camera...!

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide

marknie123

Grids do not show up on T3i on latest build.

dwrcymru

I have been using ML for a while now, I also use a lot of older manual lenses on the camera.  I have noticed that when I have the AF mode set to "AI Servo" when using an auto focus lens and then change the lens to a older manual focus one (with a focus confirm chip) ML seems to turn on "Trap Focus".  Is this normal or should I report it as a "Bug"?

Dave

markanini

No silent module in latest build?
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.

Disease

Hey guys I am having problems with the audio meters in the Canon 600D. I have an external preamp/xlr adapter on top of my camera. I really just want accurate audio meters on screen so I can bypass the internal volume control. But it does not show any signal at all. I have checked in the Canon menu and I am definitely getting a signal from my Saramonic SR-PAX1 into the canon. It is just not registering in ML's audio metering system. I do not want to control the volume digitally from ML but from the analogue knobs on the preamp. Anything I can do? Or just a bug in the nightly build?

rsmith02

I find the levels often show up low I can't rely on them. If you jack it up to +24 or higher they may be clearer but the audio will be very noisy so I wouldn't record like that.

The meters also aren't active upon power on. You either need to record or open the ML menu (trashcan) and exit for them to wake up and start working.

Disease

Hi I find that I have to go into the normal canon menu and tweak the sound level there then when I come out to live view the level metering is working but it is so un reliable I am un installing ML. Also I went over 60 degrees heat today I was worried as it showed up red on screen. Is that dangerous?

If the leveling worked well adn I didnt have heating issue would leave on my camera but seems too risky as I am using it for professional jobs and do not want any risk.

rsmith02

I don't see any reason to uninstall ML. If you don't want to see the ML menus, you can just hit the info button. Doesn't the Canon default to no audio meters while recording? That's worse. I really value the histogram and the focus box for shooting video.

The heating isn't related to ML- your camera heats up in liveview mode. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've shot for fairly long days with no problems. If the camera overheats it will shut off, ML or not.

a1ex

Quote from: Disease on October 13, 2017, 02:34:00 PM
Hi I find that I have to go into the normal canon menu and tweak the sound level there then when I come out to live view the level metering is working but it is so un reliable [...]

Did a quick test, comparing ML audio meters to Canon's (5D3):

Unable to see what's wrong with them.

Additionally, a long time ago, a 60D user compared ML audio meters with a calibrated reference and found nothing wrong:
QuoteA -12dB tone recorded with my 60D (only the tip of the meters was yellow) resulted in a perfect -12dB tone. I checked all signals on our calibrated system.

Therefore, if you are looking for help, it's your duty to document the issue properly.

rsmith02

Hi a1ex, I have no idea how to determine whether the meters are accurately recording volume so I don't think I can be of help there (I have no known reference). It may be fine.

I can easily demonstrate that the audio meters do not engage until you hit record or enter the ML menus and leave, playback a video, etc. I can repeat it each time I turn my camera off to on. After you do that you can see levels while non-recording which is what I want to do (want to nail settings before starting to record an interview for example).

The Canon audio menus are set to manual, levels 6 notches or so above 0, and ML menus have audio override on and levels +24. To keep things simple I'm just using the built-in mic. Latest 600D build of ML installed 2017-10-04.

Is that how the camera is supposed to work or a bug, and what sort of documentation is useful (a video of ML's behavior?)

The link to bug reporting is too general for me to do much with. Of course specificity is good and repeatability moves the burden from the programmer to the user.

a1ex

Yes, a video would be nice.

Unfortunately, the audio side of 600D is different from all other modes, so it requires a 600D owner with programming skills to look into it. Also check the new-sound-system branch, maybe the issue is fixed there. I'm afraid diagnosing this issue without a camera is going to be more difficult than asking a tester whether it works.

Maybe if QEMU will ever be able to emulate the audio chip and Canon's LiveView. Docs are available, manpower is always welcome.

Disease

Hi I am not able to test in such a way but there is definitely a bug and it even states on the ML page that audio features for the 600D (not 60D) are unavailable. I wonder how you got to show audio levels natively in the canon display?? Thats all I wanted from ML anyway so if that is already there I am moaning about nothing.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Disease on October 16, 2017, 11:57:38 PM
it even states on the ML page that audio features for the 600D (not 60D) are unavailable.

What? Where? Because:

Disease

i cant find it :(

Can you show audio  metering on live view overlay without having ML installed?

Walter Schulz

Wait a moment! You are actually asking how to use an ML feature without having ML installed?
If so: Please stop trolling here and contact Canon services.
If not: Stop trolling anyway.

rsmith02

:o I think he/she is confused.

So I just put in a non ML card and unsurprisingly, no, there are no audio meters in live view mode on the 600D/T3i. You need to enable Magic Lantern for that. ML works very well on the T3i so I recommend keeping it.

rsmith02

Dear a1ex, sorry it took a few days but I finally had a chance to do a quick test video to show the issue with audio meters "falling asleep" on the T3i.

Here's a link to a video I made to demonsrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxmjruhdixcaerp/C0006.MP4?dl=0

Bob Hayes

My version is 1.0.3 and it says to go to 1.0.2.for the initial download. I do notice the article is dated 2015. is this correct and I have to go back to an earlier versuion?

Walter Schulz

Install instructions in download page are up to date.

bpv5P

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 28, 2017, 09:38:52 AM
Install instructions in download page are up to date.

There's any changelog for ML pages? This is the page? Also, can't the admin self-host the original canon firmware link, instead of pointing to "pel.hu"? I don't find it very safe to point to a unknow website. The owner could just replace the zip with a exploit and *uck everyone. If for legal reasons it can't be made, at least mirror it in another server and post the SHA256 hash...

edit to add: it's running a old Apache with bad SSL, btw.